In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

cracked sig 226 frame rails. need help.

bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
edited August 2003 in Ask the Experts
about 4 years ago i cracked my old faithful sig 226 9mm's slide rails. i bought it from a buddy at the teams in 92 and shot the daylights out of it using milspec ammo. its was the best gun i ever carried and miss it badly. they peeled up like wood shavings off a piece of widdling wood! im glad to be alive! it didnt fly off! anyway, its an early frame made in n.h.. can anyone fill me in on sigs policy and if its possible to get a new frame or repair or scrap this one? you figure theyd be interested in seeing it to show the r&d shop? let me know! thanks! btw....it had at least 50,000 rounds in it! and thats not counting what 'dave' shot in it! im going on empty ammo cans im counting in my head! it was shot that much!

former air operations officer SEAL Delivery Vehicle Team 2. former navy skeet team, navy rifle/pistol team member. co-owner skeetmaster tubes inc.. owner/operator professional shooting instruction.
Retired Naval Aviation
Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
Former NSSA All American
Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
MO, CT, VA.

Comments

• Options
    kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    Send it to a SIG authorized repair facility, they will need to replace the frame, the likelyhood of them repairing or welding up is quite unlikely, especially if it's alloy. Sounds like you plain wore it out[:D]

Love them Beavers
    orst-title-1.gif

SUPPORT THE I.N.S. , THE COUNTRY THEY SAVE COULD BE YOUR OWN
  • Options
    Rafter-SRafter-S Member Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When you use the term "milspec ammo", you do know some 9mm military ammo is designed for machineguns and is hotter than what we know as standard pressure "factory" ammo you and I buy at the local gun store.

That said, only 50,000 rounds of standard pressure ammo should be no problem for a well made gun like Sig. I think they will replace it for you but you may have to convince them it was only standard pressure ammo. If the rep you get hold of on the phone tends to balk, ask to speak to someone in upper management on the matter. And be insistant that you only fired standard pressure factory ammo (assuming that is the truth).

Sig is a reputable company in a highly competitive business. They want all their customers to be confident and satisfied.

My humble 2-cents worth,
    Rafter-S

P.S. Be sure to keep us posted on how it turns out. There are a lot of potential Sig customers on this forum.
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    oh yes, i know its hot ammo. but milspec can be anything from winchester ammo to tzz to iai or who knows what else. seems sometimes youd get standard pressure and sometimes it was hot. when our sigs starting blowing apart at the teams, sig sent factory overhaul kits to the military to replace all componants and slides after 20,000 rounds. our question had always been, how did sig win a military contract with a gun that cant handle hot milspec ammo? anyway, i feel honesty is the rule of thumb here and maybe it should go down a case of just wearing it out like our poster said. its funny...growing up around guns that lasted 80 years or more, im not use to these plastic guns yet. sigs a nice gun...but im sure if a 45 and a sig were side by side in a combat situation, i'd grab the 45. ok....its time for a new frame! nunn made mention he was a sig smith. i tried emailing him for info but got no response. can anyone tell me if the new sig frames are the same as the old ones? i wanna just drop my upper on and go!
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    Nunn's a little tied up with personal matters right now, be patient. He'll tell you everything you want to know about your SIG.[:D]

Love them Beavers
    orst-title-1.gif

SUPPORT THE I.N.S. , THE COUNTRY THEY SAVE COULD BE YOUR OWN
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,004 ******
    edited November -1
    If you had a new frame, I could swap all the parts over. The trick is getting a new frame. You will have to contact the factory. www.sigarms.com

I don't know whether they will sell you one bare or not. I do know you can return the entire gun to the factory, and they will tell you what it will cost to fix it.

SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com, the best gun auction site on the Net! Email davidnunn@texoma.net