In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Antique Pistol Grip Restoration

cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,401 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2003 in Ask the Experts
I have a pre-1898 pistol that has a good 1 piece grip. The finish is much too shiney to be original. Especially compared to the general condition of the piece. I have 2 questions. What is the best way to remove the current finish? Second, the holes that are for the wood screws that secure the grip are stripped out. How do I fill the holes in a way that I can reinstall the original size screws? A previous owner, I believe, filled the holes with plastic wood or some other filler and before it set up inserted the screws right away. It was impossible to remove the screws and I had to take the gun to a machine shop to drill out the screws.

Thanks,

cbxjeffIt's too late for me, save yourself.
It's too late for me, save yourself.

Comments

• p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Well sir, I am assuming it is wood grips we are discussing. If so, proceed as follows:

Acetone, carburator cleaner, commercial stripper, etc., will remove about anything without damaging the wood.

To fix your holes, this is what I do. Find the same kind of wood with about the same color. Whittle down some strips, how many? Read the whole procedure and decide yourself. After you have a nice little pile, sand a bit on the remaining woodblock to get some dust. Put a bit of wood glue in the hole and start packing with the little strips. When you got it choking, throw in some dust and pack it down. Let dry. Sand, drill, and tap as you would virgin wood.

Now if the area is hidden, using a hole making bit, drill the hole to match your piece of dowel that you got at Home Depot. Glue it in, let dry. Sand, drill and tap as virgin wood. This method is excellent for goofed up screw holes on buttstocks.

Best,
    Mike

He That Pays The Piper Calls The Tune.
  • cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,401 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    p3,

Thanks for the info. Yes, the screw holes will be covered. The dowel idea seems like the way to go. I'll try the acetone tomorrow.

cbxjeffIt's too late for me, save yourself.
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Glad to be of help sir. If you ever have a screw hole that is stripped, just put a small wood strip into it and start your screw. You will be amazed how quick the screw will again start biting into the wood. A quick fix!

He That Pays The Piper Calls The Tune.