In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

the one mile shot! 9" group! remember it?

bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
edited August 2003 in Ask the Experts
ok you diehard rifle shooters...help me out. about 15 years ago there was an article in the AM RIFLEMAN or G&A about a 30 caliber wildcat that bench shot one mile and hit a standard size 25yd pistol target taped on a piece of plywood! he used a computer program to figure wind and best conditions. what was the caliber? what was the name of the guy and the gun? start posting! i got a bet on it and the guy here in conn doesnt believe me and my gun mag's are in va. i cant research it! thanks!

former air operations officer SEAL Delivery Vehicle Team 2. former navy skeet team, navy rifle/pistol team member. co-owner skeetmaster tubes inc.. owner/operator professional shooting instruction.
Retired Naval Aviation
Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
Former NSSA All American
Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
MO, CT, VA.

Comments

• Rafter-SRafter-S Member Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since we are on Ask the Experts and not on General Discussion I won't say I don't believe someone can hit a 9" circle at 5,280 feet with a 30 caliber rifle, I don't care what computers they use.

Too bad I can't say that.

Respectfully,
    Rafter-S

"What is truth? No wonder jesting Pilate turned away. The truth, it has a thousand faces -- show only one of them, and the whole truth flies away! But how to show the whole? That is the question."
    --Thomas Wolfe, "You Can't Go Home Again" (1934)
  • ryan_marineryan_marine Member Posts: 635
    edited November -1
    I have heard about this shot but don't recall which mag it was in. The caliber was a 30-06 out of a .416 cartiage though. I can't remeber the guy's name but the rifle was a remington.
    Ray
  • ThrockmortonThrockmorton Member Posts: 814 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    probalby in Guns and Ammo,and probably Ross Seifried.don't remember the gun though.

Throckmortons' the alias,cas is the game.
  • Ronald J. SnowRonald J. Snow Member Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The shooter might have been G. David Tubb.
  • SP45SP45 Member Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As I recall it was Ross Seyfreid. I think the stock was painted red white and blue?
  • bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    yes, the gun was red/white/blue! we are on track. i believe this thread merits an 'expert' catagory discussion because it involves identifying a gun and its ability. not only is this a bet, but our friend in a post below was trying to determine if it was possible to load a bullet to 4000fps for real, and shoot game at 600+ yds out his back door in the dakotas. so, if we can remember the article, and fix him up with the data that HE used, we might be able to get our friend going in the right direction, and i win my bet. btw...it was a recorded shot with cameras and witnesses. it happened on film. its not a mater of 'i dont believe it.' it happened. thanks for your help! if anyone can pin point it, let me know!
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    that same shot was made by no less than a dozen people at the ohio 1000yd match a few weeks back. My buddy hit the "gong" at 1 mile I think 2 times out of 5. Computer programs and handloads paired with 40moa scope bases and 72moa of internal adjustment in an NXS nightforce allow all this to take place. Not so much of a record any more as a bragging right by the bench shooters on the circuit.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i forgot...how bigs that bell?
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • XracerXracer Member Posts: 1,990
    edited November -1
    Lookee Here!

http://www.creedmoorsports.com/X0352.html

There was also (supposedly) an incident during the Civil War where a Union sharpshooter, Capt. John Metcalf, killed a Confederate General at one mile. http://www.blackpowderspg.com/productarticle.html
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think it is an old saw blade from a mill? they call it a gong,..but I doubt you could hear it[8D] My friend said that all the guys there had hit it,...but we are talking about guys like Bill Shehane, Dave Tooley, etc.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • XracerXracer Member Posts: 1,990
    edited November -1
    There's a heck of a lot of difference in hitting a 9" target at a mile and shooting a 9" group at a mile.

The former is possible. I seriously doubt the latter.