In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Custom 44 mag. does not shoot well.

nccatfishernccatfisher Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited August 2003 in Ask the Experts
I bought a custom 44 Ruger carbine on here last fall. It was described as a great shooter, it has a full laminated stock (manlicher) sp. and I believe a dougles barrel. It is a beautiful gun and at 50 yards it will drive tacks at 100 which I consider it's max., it won't shoot in your hat. I have worked on the trigger and it is crisp, used different tightness on the barrel band, and have considered adding a pressure point. I want to shoot 240 hp bullets if possible. I have had many regular Ruger carbines in the past that shot well at 100 yards, I am wondering if the long stock on this one is causing some problems? The work on this gun was done by Bill Meyer or that's whose name is on the barrel. Any ideas as to what to do? Loads? Modiffications?
Please help.
Thanks,
Tim Cope.

Comments

• richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    Try changing bullet weights. If it shoots well at short range but not longer it leads one to believe that the bullets are no being properly stabilized. Even smooth bore shotguns give decent groups at 50 yards.... are the holes at 100 perfectly round or are they keyholed?

My border collie is smarter than your honor student.
  • Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tim,,,,,, Welcome to the forum,,, I would stick with heavier bullets as they provide more bearing surface to help stabilize them in flight.
    I assume the same bullets are grouping good at 50, and lousy at 100.
    The 100 yd groups should about twice the size of the 50 yd groups if you are using the same ammo.
    Are these factory or reloaded ammo?
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,675 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just food for thought... I had a first generation version (made in '65) and currently still have a first gen (made in '67) and neither of them would shoot worth a dang with lead bullets. I assume you're using jacketed bullets as many of the Ruger Carbines had trouble smashing the bullet on the feeding ramp (same problem as my desert eagle had). Anyway, when I switched to shooting jacketed hollow-points all my stability and ramp feeding problems went away. As for the difference in accuracy between the standard carbine and the sporter which doesn't have the barrel band I have seen little difference, the banded one actually SEEMS to me to be slightly more accurate. In case you're interested, I typically shoot Federal 240 grain jacketed hollow points if you want to give it a try in yours. Mine are both factory stock except having prior optics on one. I would love to see a picture of your Ruger, it sounds pretty.
    Here's mine:
    Ruger.44Carbine.jpg
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    nccatfisher, sounds to me like you just have a dud, and should just get rid of it. You should just give it to me, and get a different one. [:D]