In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

44. magnium

airbalanceairbalance Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited December 2004 in Ask the Experts
I am looking for a good hand gun for a trip in Alaska in the summer. I want something with a short barre, 4" and somethng clip fed not a cylinder. Open for suggestions, except not going to Alaska.
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good Luck.

I WOULD RATHER BE DUCK HUNTING.
  • Options
    gotstolefromgotstolefrom Member Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    your post title sez 44 mag...
    You say you are going on a trip to Alaska....
    You say you do not want a revolver, but want a semi auto.

I assume this is an 'emergency go-to-gun'

For an emergency go-to gun, 44 mag , 454 Cas, etc. are good rounds to buy you some time and running room.

An auto is generally not chosen as a go-to gun for emergency use. I carry autos, and depend on them,...but when the bear breath is heavy I want something SIMPLE and DEPENDABLE. .... I love my autos, but they do have more moving parts to fail, jam, freeze up, etc.

A single action revolver on the other hand has very few of these things....no safety, no extractors,no bbl links, no bbl bushing, battery lock-up lugs, etc.

Also..you will not find a mag caliber in an auto that is short bbl and 'small'. Reconsider a revolver...it is what fits your needs.
    It will be easier on your pocket book too. Most folks find Ruger Single Actions very strong and life-long lasting.

Enjoy Your Trip ! You probably will not need the weapon anyway.

If we do not hang together,
    We will most certainly hang separately.
  • Options
    lost4dazlost4daz Member Posts: 115 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've never seen nor heard of the gun you seek. A desert eagle or auto mag are the only magnum auto loaders i can think of. Neither is small or light. Best of luck to you.
  • Options
    Bill CostikBill Costik Member Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If your life depended on it, i.e. against a charging bear, why would you go with a semi-auto anyways? I would say get a S&W or Ruger .44 or .45LC if you handload and step up the power some. Other than that, a .454 would suit you well, although I am not sure of the barrel lengths on most models.
  • Options
    Ronald J. SnowRonald J. Snow Member Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are driving to Alaska you will not be able to take a handgun with you. If flying you could make arrangements to take a 44 Magnum revolver if you insist on a handgun. My personal choice would be a pump, 12 gauge shotgun with an 18" barrel and load it with slugs. If you do take a handgun be sure to file off the front sight.
  • Options
    ghotie_thumperghotie_thumper Member Posts: 1,561 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you did your homework you'd find that the gun you want doesn't seem to exist. If your needs in going to alaska are for bear defense, get a 454 casull 4" revolver don't file the front sight, just avoid the bears. Oh yeah don't drive through canada with it or you'll probably lose it due to some "technicality" and if you fly with it get your mommie to fill out the paperwork for you and be sure to declare it before you get in the ticket line.

Common Sense is an Uncommon Virtue.
  • Options
    BoomerangBoomerang Member Posts: 4,513
    edited November -1
    [:0]IMHO, you should not own a gun before you have researched this subject much more thoroughly than just on this forum; and secondly, once you get the gun that most suits your needs you will need to practice with it before taking it afield. The last thing the gun community needs is to have another inexperienced 'bear burger' shoot his friends because he did not know what he was doing.[V]

It is obvious that you know very little about guns, and probably very little about the Alaskan terrain. That being understood, you need the advice of an expert. Aglore, a member of this forum, lives in Alaska and knows all about beasts that can eat us if they wish. I would wait for his input before you go off and make a potentially fatal mistake.[^]

Boomer

"Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as it is by the obstacles which one has overcome while trying to succeed"

. and the antithesis to this philosophy was uttered by Bill Clinton "I smoked it, but I didn't inhale."[V]

NRA Life Member
  • Options
    YankeeClipperYankeeClipper Member Posts: 669 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only pistol that has never jamed on me is a Glock. I sure don't want to go up against a Grizzly with a .40 Glock.

Helping keep America free: One gun at a time.
  • Options
    earlwellmanearlwellman Member Posts: 645 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I went to Alaska a couple of years ago to fish. I wondered how to protect myself from bears. They said that wearing bells on your clothes worked well to keep the brown bears at bay, but not so well at with the grizzlies. I asked how to tell which were in the area. I was told to look at the droppings. Brown bears will leave a grape size dropping while a grizzlie will leave droppings with little bells in them[:D]
    Earl Happy new yaer
  • Options
    calamitywoodcalamitywood Member Posts: 939 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [:0][:o)][:D][8D]