In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

med and max range for 30-06

Mr.badwrenchMr.badwrench Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
edited January 2005 in Ask the Experts
I'm shooting a Thompson/Center encore 24 inch barrel with mounted by pod, scope is a Bushnell 6-18x50. how far could i reasonably shoot and actually hit and do some damage.

Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Comments

• Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The cartridge is good for deer out to at least 440yd with 150gr NBT bullets (ya, I've killed them clean at that distance with that combo). As far as the rifle goes, how does it group?

Whittemore
    Some guys like a mag full of lead, I still prefer one round to the head.
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Iz yer bypod mounted to the stock or the barrel?
    What (exactly) is the load you're using now?
    Do you expect to shoot prone from the bypod, or resting it on/against something while standing semi-erect?
    Hopefully, you have a full stock. It will add weight and make your barrel/frame combination legal.

To answer your question:
    Under Nominal Conditions,
    Using Factory Ammunition of 165gr or so,
    Aiming From a Rest at a Well-Defined Target,
    if you can keep the first 3 shots inside the diameter of a Half-Dollar at 125 yards;
    You could possibly reach out to coyotes to around 450yards, or deer-sized game to about 400yards, or Elk-sized game at almost 325yards.
    as the lawyers say,"Your Mileage May Vary"

"Qui non est hodie cras minus aptus erit" --OVID
  • Options
    HKmanHKman Member Posts: 291 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Average range for larger game with the 30-06 is 200-300yds. However some match shooters (and snipers) have stretched it out above 1,000yds. It all depends on the rifle, the shooter and the load.
    Best of luck,
    Andy

"There are those who make things happen, those that watch things happen and those that say, what happend?"

AC Tactical
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Very likely the rifle with decent ammo will hit better than you can hold in a hunting situation.

Mobuck