In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

S&W 9mm semiauto able handle +p+?

tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
edited January 2005 in Ask the Experts
One of the posters here emailed me info from the S&W website of FAQ. One of the questions/answers was that the modern S&W semiauto can handle any round that is loaded to the SAAMI guidelines. I assume that there is no ammo out there that would be loaded BEYOND the SAAMI guidelines.

So if that is correct I am thinking that I can shot any and all (+P+, etc) commerically loaded ammo because no company would exceed the SAAMI guidelines?

Is that corrrect?

Quote "Somehow government decided that the Constitutional Bill of Rights has become the Bill of "Suggested" Rights and are to be rationed to the citizens as the power elite sees fit"

Comments

• Mr.badwrenchMr.badwrench Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    As far as i'm concerned a 9mm is a mediocre round not worth defending yourself with. Case in point i had a friend who in one sitting took 4 shots from a nine and was out of the hospital the same day. I would wanna go with a 45 (a known man stopper). Plus 45's are more accurate and dependable.
  • njretcopnjretcop Member Posts: 7,975
    edited November -1
    A 9mm loaded with Corbon +P is as deadly a weapon as anyone would need...[:)][:)][:)]

Quote from my S&W Owners Manual, "+P+ ammo should NEVER be fired in Smith & Wesson auto load pistols."

njretcop@copmail.com

vic.jpgdd.art
    Charlie
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,306 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    Well, I was going to say, do what I did about that very same issue on my Ruger P-85. Call the manufacturer. But it seems njretcop answered your question.

Aberdeen.gif
    81st FA BN WWII...Thanks Dad
    U!S!A! ALL THE WAY!!
  • 1022man1022man Member Posts: 512 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A lot of the +P+ ammo I have seen was being sold as sub-gun or rifle ammo. Most modern gun now can shoot +P, like already said it is harder on the gun, and alot of times the extra umph isn't worth it.
  • tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    Thanks everybody of the good info.

My main worry wasn't so much wearing out my gun shooting +P+ ammo as if I had decided to use it (I won't now after reading your posts) it would only be used for short practice shooting and then only used/carried for self-defense. And if I, or a family member, were to ever need to use the gun and the +P+ rounds for defense I wouldn't care if the gun was damaged beyond repair if it just solved the immeidate treat for us.

So in regards to all that, my main worry would be if I had used the +P+ round I worry that upon the extra hard recoil the parts of the frame/slide that contact each other and absorb the recoil might become damage and the gun woould then fail to operate if additional shots were needed to stop a threat.

Any thoughts on that?

Quote "Somehow government decided that the Constitutional Bill of Rights has become the Bill of "Suggested" Rights and are to be rationed to the citizens as the power elite sees fit"
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mr.badwrench
    As far as i'm concerned a 9mm is a mediocre round not worth defending yourself with. Case in point i had a friend who in one sitting took 4 shots from a nine and was out of the hospital the same day. I would wanna go with a 45 (a known man stopper). Plus 45's are more accurate and dependable.

"Not worth it"? Come on. Maybe its not the best first choice but 9mms still kill more Americans every year than .45s do. I've seen plenty of cadavers felled with a single 9mm.

Its all about placement. Any theoretical accuracy difference between a .45 and a 9mm is irrelevant in a defensive situation. Believe me, the difference between a 5" group at 25 yds and a 2" group at 25 yds doesn't mean anything on a human sized target at 7-9 yds.

Given the choice, I'd still not choose a 9mm for a defensive gun, but I'd take a 9mm +P any day over a .38 special or even probably a .357 magnum.