In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Star BM Hammer Installation

Uncle AlpoUncle Alpo Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
edited January 2005 in Ask the Experts
I just got a Star BM and stripped it down for inspection and cleaning. I'm having a time getting the hammer back in: between trying to align the pin on the sear and compressing the spring/plunger/ball, I can't seem to get everything aligned right so that the hammer pin can be installed.

Is there a trick to getting the hammer installed? I'm about to pull my hair out.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You might try using a small punch or nail to line up the assembly and then push the pin through.

Mobuck
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks, but I can't get the hammer down far enough to even see the hole in it. I'm sorry I took it apart - this has to be the most irritating mechanical device I've encountered.
  • Options
    wapo3030wapo3030 Member Posts: 455 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    SEND IT TO ME!!!!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Pretty funny! I'll figure it out eventually; it would be helpful if someone could provide a tip on how to do it.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As soon as I can find my disassembly manual I'll get back to you.

Mobuck
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks, but I think I figured it out. When I initially took the hammer out, the pieces flew around. I found the spring and the plunger, and assumed that because the plunger was dished a ball should ride in it. The schematic I have doesn't provide a lot of detail about the hammer plunger. I have since figured out that the spur on the hammer is what rides in the cup (Doh!). With that, it's easy to put the hammer in.

It seems to work fine. If I have missed something important, please let me know!