In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Ruger Bisley .22 or .32: Which would you choose?

AimhighAimhigh Member Posts: 149 ✭✭✭
edited December 2004 in Ask the Experts
Ruger Bisley .22 or .32:

1)Which would you choose(And, why?)? Give your reasons?

2)How reliable are these Bisley's?

3)How well do they shoot?

4)Give any known Pro's(Or, Con's?)?

5)List any experiences you might have had with Ruger Bisley(.22's or .32's?)?

Comments

• gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Ruger's guns are as strong as any; probably more so.
    I'd go with the 32H&RMag, since I already have several .22 caliber sixguns.
    Other than being like the originals, I don't really like the fixed sights; but they shoot as well as any.

"Qui non est hodie cras minus aptus erit" --OVID
  • reuben_j_cogburnreuben_j_cogburn Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I guess it depends on what you want to use it for? I would choose the .22, especially if it's dual cylinder. The Bisley grip is much more comfortable in the hand than the hog leg grip. It may look funny but pretty is as pretty does. The .22 is obviously cheaper to shoot and makes a great small game round!
    Ruger single actions are incredibly reliable and strong. I have witnessed one Ruger .357 come into the shop with 7 bullets stuck in the barrel! Not only did the gun hold together, Ruger fixed it for free! The owner was given some lessons on firearms and sent on his way! How do they shoot? Well some of it depends on you of course but they are generally very accurate arms. They can be improved with some trigger work as Rugers tend to come with fairly heavy triggers, which is no doubt due to liability issues. If you send a tuned Ruger back to them for work they will undo your trigger job to factory specs!
    I personally don't have any cons on these guns but I'm sure that there are those who do. Rugers don't truely follow "colt" lines which seems to bother some of the CAS crowd, but I don't think they where intended to clone the SAA. What they are is a great gun for a fair price. I can't believe that you wouldn't be happy with the Bisley in .22 cal. Cheap to shoot, accurate..... You can use this gun for plinking/target shooting AND small game. As a matter of fact I have a Ruger Bisley .22 with a 6 1/2 inch barrel, that I will be bringing home the end of the week! I'm really looking forward to hunting some squirrels with it before season closes.
    Hope this helps......

reuben......

can someone please explain to me why we drive on parkways and park on driveways?
  • gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    a Ruger Bisley in 22lr is going to be cheaper and easier to find than one in 32mag [:D]
    I have one in 22lr , and also have the baby Vaquero in 32mag, both are great guns but I shoot the 22 more just because it costs less ,

did you know you can shoot 32 S&W long and also 32 acp in the 32mag[;)]
  • AimhighAimhigh Member Posts: 149 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1)Which is cheaper, .32 S&W long or, .32 acp(Per box of 50, factory loaded)?

2)Have you had any problems with your Bisley .22(Or, which excessive lead build-up?)?

3)I wasn't aware about being able to fire .32 acp's? I'm not very familiar with acp's in general? Do these require moon clips(Or, anything like this?)to enable shooting with these?
  • gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    I can reload the .32 for less than the price of a box of premium .22lr, and I can go hotter or not if I wanna![8D]

"Qui non est hodie cras minus aptus erit" --OVID
    edited November -1
    aimhigh: around here 32 s&wlong run about $14 per box of 50 , 32 acp about $12 ,
    the 32 acp is a semi-rimmed cartridge, so you can use it in a single action revolver , it has enough of a rim to hold it and with the ejector rod use in single action revolvers , ejection is no problem
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gunnut505
    I can reload the .32 for less than the price of a box of premium .22lr, and I can go hotter or not if I wanna![8D]

OK, but in fairness, not everyone is going to reload .32s, and not everyone is going to feed their .22lr with only match ammo. A brick of hypervelocity .22LR costs only about $25.00/500 rounds. That's about 1/4 (or less) the cost of factory .32 ammo. At maybe 120 foot pounds of energy, you're getting fully 60% of the punch of a .32 magnum (about 200 ft-lbs), and I'm guessing squirrels or tin cans aren't going to notice the difference.

If you need more punch, the WMR magnum 22s will put out about 175 foot pounds of energy, or about 80% of the standard .32 magnum, with a higher velocity (flatter trajectory). The cost of these is about $65/brick, which is still less than half the cost of a .32 if you aren't reloading.

Also, in general.22 ammo is more readily available, and a greater variety of ammo is available (ie including shotshells, quieter low-velocity rounds, etc). So if that conversion were available for the gun in question, for me it would be a no brainer to pick the .22 unless I intended to shoot a lot of the hotter rounds and were also reloading.
  • AimhighAimhigh Member Posts: 149 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, there is a NIB Bisley .22 and the same, in a Bisley .32, that I am considering? And(For some reason)I am having a very difficult time of deciding which one of these Bisley's to pick?

It seems that if a person was a hunter(Or, reloaded their own ammo!)or even from just a "Collectibility" stand point, that maybe the Bisley .32 would be the best choice? I definately don't intend to do any reloading! And, I don't have any idea how good of a "Collectible" revolver, that any Bisley .32, could turn out to be(Or, if there are very many people, that would even bother much to collect these guns?)?

On the other hand, the Bisley .22 in question, is somewhat rare, because it is an early production Bisley .22(With fixed sights and a fluted(Rather than an unfluted)cylinder(Which I like)! The price on this gun is $100 less, than for the more collectible, Bisley .32!

I'm torn between going just for the Bisley .32(Because it might be more desireable as a collectible?)or, to go for the Bisley .22(Because it would be much cheaper to shoot-and, it looks nicer, with that fluted cylinder)? In the first case, I'd just have a "Safe queen"! In the second case, just a nice .22 Bisley to shoot(And wouldn't be worth much as being a collectible gun!)? It sure would be alot easier, if there were only one Bisley to select from! Anyway, give me whatever input you can(Regarding the above)and maybe, this will help me to make the best decision possible? Thanks, in advance!
    edited November -1
    Aimhigh my Bisley 22 is the fixed sight but with the unfluted cyl., I don't believe I've seen one with a fluted cyl. that would be nice [:D]
    for what you want and for the price difference I would buy the 22 , that way you get something that you like the looks of and also something you are willing to use

If you decide not to buy the 32mag would you be kind enought to email me and let me know where its at and how much they are asking ? if the price is right it may be some thing I would look at to add to my other Rugers [:D][:D][;)]
    thanks
  • WWllVetWWllVet Member Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Best way out of your dilema (sp?) is to go ahaead and buy both. Then after shooting them, decide which you prefer and unload the other.
    Just my .02.[}:)][}:)][:D][:D][:D]

for GOD and COUNTRY

Vet