In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

SKS issue

Atom242Atom242 Member Posts: 151 ✭✭✭
edited February 2009 in Ask the Experts
Hey guy's I'm in a bit of a bind, my dad tried to replace the rear sight spring in my SKS, I wasn't there when he did it, he inadvertently ended up essentially flattening the entire spring. I included a picture below, I for the life of me cannot seem to get the thing out. So long story short I was wondering if you guys might have any suggestions as to how to get the thing out of there, I guess worst case scenario is I take it to a gunsmith, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I won't have to do that..

bDSXeN.png

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Can't seem to tap out the pin that holds the firing pin in!! Any thoughts, i.e. am I doing something wrong?
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's a tight interference fit. make dam sure your hitting the correct side of the retaining pin, one side has a larger diameter Use a small amount of liquid wrench or kroil around the pin. Set it up on a flat hard surface so that it won't move around when you hammer on it. Use the correct diameter pin punch, as short as possible as a starter. You might consider holding the punch with a vise grip, so you won't slip and hit your hand with the hammer. About a 1 pound ballpeen hammer should do it. The correct diameter pin punch with the shortest possible tip as a starter, is the most important thing.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    rufe on the extractor side it does'nt look like a pin it is more square shaped? Just by looking it appears that it would only come out one way, maybe I am not hitting it hard enough. Something about banging on metal makes me nervous.
  • Options
    Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They can be tough to drive out...Use the punch from the round side not the rectangular side...Use the largest punch that will fit and and go for it...Your not going to hurt anything..(but the punch and/or your fingers)..
    Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member
  • Options
    dav1965dav1965 Member Posts: 26,543 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When working on my guns i cover my vice with towels. I have found out that you need something solid to sit the gun on if not you dont get the force of impact you need. Good luck David
  • Options
    corvidaecorvidae Member Posts: 68 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I could never get mine out... hit it with everything but a nuke... I gave up on it and just made darn sure it was clean... really clean...clean...