In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Rem. yellow jacket velocity?

bandcollectorbandcollector Member Posts: 218 ✭✭✭
edited February 2009 in Ask the Experts
I'm far from a 22lr expert, sadly I'm just getting hooked on rimfires since ammo is so high now even to reload. I bought a couple of hundred yellow jacket rounds the other day because I was unsatisfied with the CCI mini mags and bargin federal ammo I had been using. I could very easily tell after firing a few they were significantly less powerful than the others, so I broke out the chrony. None of the yellow jakets broke a 1000 fps from ether box the closest was 986 fps. The mini mags were around 1050 fps the bargin federal were 1200 fps. I was under the impression that the yellow jackets and the mini mags were hyper velocity and thats not what i would call fast at all. Is this normal? Oh by the way I'm shooting from a 22" barrel 10/22.

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    bandcollector,

Remington, Yellow Jacket, .22 LR 33 gr HP, CC 1500 fps

CCI, Stinger, .22 LR 32 gr HP, CC 1640 fps

Best.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Something is screwy, either with that batch of ammo, or with your chrono. Those would be about the right speed for Yellow Jackets from a PISTOL- but 12 inches of barrel gives a 22 LR max velocity, so your 10-22 SHOULD be up there around 14-1500 fps. You are getting sub-sonic speeds. Um--- a really dumb question, but does your chrono have a Feet/Meters setting? [:I]
  • Options
    dtknowlesdtknowles Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My research indicates that the Yellow Jackets and Mini Mags are hot ammo, I have not shot either. I have shot Aguila Interceptor and CCI Stinger and they are even hotter with the Interceptor being the hottest 40gr round and the Stinger the king of the lightweights (29gr.) at 1500 fps from a 10 inch barrel the Interceptor was 1450 fps from a 10 inch barrel.

Remington Long Rifle Yellow Jacket Hollow Point 33gr 1368fps from a 18.75 barrel, Shooting Times guide to accuracy vol. II
    CCI Long Rifle MiniMag Hollow Point 36gr. 1298fps from a 18.75 inch barrel Shooting Times guide to accuracy vol. II

None of the Federal ammo I have tested or see results of other peoples testing broke 1200 fps. The best was

Federal Gold Medal Match LR Round Nose 40gr. 1183fps from a 21 inch barrel American Rifleman sept 08
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Remington rimfire ammo I have had in the past few years is total JUNK. I was getting over 300 FPS variation in MV from three different rifles with the bulk pack golden bullet stuff. The ammo plant down south making the rimfire ammo could care less. I called them three times and was basically told they did not care, go away and stop calling us. Remington may make a great rifle but the 22 rimfire ammo they make is very poor quality in my experience.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The good old days of the Federal 550 bulk box at Wal-mart for $8.88 are long gone. Those 38 gr. HP's were the most consistane and accurate out of my Browning A-Bolt Medallion, and Buckmark Varmint pistol...even the Federal Gold Medal Ultra Match wouldn't hang.

If you are firing them out of a pistol that is why your velocity is short. Especially from a revolver with a barrel/cylinder gap. If you are using a rifle, then that is a problem. I do understand that some lines of remington ammo suck now, and that is why some rimfire stuff Big Green is having made elsewhere, like the 17HMR, and 17M2, and the match 22 stuff is all ELEY 10X made.
  • Options
    ~Mr. Colt .45~~Mr. Colt .45~ Member Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go with CCI stingers to solve your problem![^]
  • Options
    dtknowlesdtknowles Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You should try some of the Aguila Interceptor ammo if you are shooting out past 50 yards, best retained energy, flatest trajectory and it is accurate in my guns.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost1958
    The Remington rimfire ammo I have had in the past few years is total JUNK. I was getting over 300 FPS variation in MV from three different rifles with the bulk pack golden bullet stuff. The ammo plant down south making the rimfire ammo could care less. I called them three times and was basically told they did not care, go away and stop calling us. Remington may make a great rifle but the 22 rimfire ammo they make is very poor quality in my experience.

In my experience the Remington (green box) TARGET ammo is quite accurate, and it would cycle guns that some of the usual target ammo would not, but not that reliable. I'd get an average of one dud per 50 round box, and occasionally more. That's OK for plinking, NOT OK for serious target work or hunting.

As to the bulk-pack milk-carton stuff. . .junk. Lots of misfires AND inaccurate to boot.

But then, what exactly do you expect at 2 cents per round?

Come on. . .at that cost, its simply unfair to expect match-level performance, or even average performance!

If you want match-grade ammo, you have to pay for it.

If you want cheap-as-dirt ammo. . .try the Federal [;)]
  • Options
    Atom242Atom242 Member Posts: 151 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Beantownshootah is right, you get what you pay for with any ammop not just the 22lr. Although I too have had good luck with the remington stuff, of coarse it is 10+ years old. Don't shoot alot of 22lr.[;)]
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by beantownshootah
    quote:Originally posted by bpost1958

In my experience the Remington (green box) TARGET ammo is quite accurate, and it would cycle guns that some of the usual target ammo would not, but not that reliable. I'd get an average of one dud per 50 round box, and occasionally more. That's OK for plinking, NOT OK for serious target work or hunting.

As to the bulk-pack milk-carton stuff. . .junk. Lots of misfires AND inaccurate to boot.

But then, what exactly do you expect at 2 cents per round?

Come on. . .at that cost, its simply unfair to expect match-level performance, or even average performance!

If you want match-grade ammo, you have to pay for it.

If you want cheap-as-dirt ammo. . .try the Federal [;)]

I agree to a point. the ammo I use for serious work is RWS, WOLF, ELEY and Aguila match-target stuff.

That does not excuse poor QC and over 300 FPS variations in MV from different rifles with Remington Golden Bullet bulk packs. It also does not excuse the lousy attitude and disrespect I received from the factory about the problems with the product. Inexpensive does not have to mean cheaply made without quality. There is no reason on earth Remington can't produce inexpensive rimfire ammo that is of acceptable quality. The problem comes in when the bean counters force production to run press speeds at critical levels. They figure it is cheaper to blow off a customer than it is to produce acceptable ammo.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I also agree with bpost1958. You have the corperate bean counters who insist that they need to know nothing about a product or how it is produced to manage it. They then get their GREEDY hands into production and marketing, and don't give a damn, about the production worker on the floor, or the support staff who are trying to make their ill concieved ideas and ideology, workin real life. Those who are like the name it and claim it preachers, who ignore scientific principals that have been prooven, just to say they are not so. These are the people who CEO's in corperate america are made of...they don't know anything but how to lie and BS their way thru things, and treat everyone below them like they do not exist...not their employee's, and not their customer's.