In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

remington arms dbl barrel

rchbgrchbg Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited February 2009 in Ask the Experts
How can I find out model of gun, it's a 10 ga. damascus barrels, has remington arms co ilion ny usa and hammers. All i can find is serial # thanks

Comments

• perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    more then likely model 1894 with detail close up in focus pictures we can help I.D. your shotgun. DO NOT shot modern loads yours most likely have shorter chambers then modern shell the modern shell might chamber but being too long when the crimped over end unfolds it will constrict the wad and shot KABOOM
  • 25wcf25wcf Member Posts: 43 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your gun is probably a Model 1889. According to my references, the model 1889 is marked REMINGTON ARMS CO. on both locks and REMINGTON ARMS CO. ILION, N.Y. U.S.A on the barrel rib. Earlier models are marked E. REMINGTON & SONS, ILION, N.Y. on the barrel rib. The later models, 1894 and 1900, are hammerless. The 1889 model has "circular" hammers, which are different in shape from earlier models. This is where a picture would help. The grade of gun is stamped on the water table to the left of the serial number. "1" has decarbonized steel barrels and no engraving, "2" has twist steel barrels and no engraving, "3" has Damascus steel barrels and no engraving. Grades 4 through 7 are rarely encountered, but have increased quality Damascus steel barrels and engraving.
  • rchbgrchbg Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    To 25wcf
    Thanks, your reply was very helpful, I believe it will be an 1889 by your description, have not figured out loading pics yet but thanks