In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Bottom Break S&W

clickclickclickclick Member Posts: 346 ✭✭✭
edited February 2009 in Ask the Experts
I just acquired this from my client to sell on GBAuction. I never saw a "bottom break" before, if thats what you would call it! Looks like a .22 in good working order. It has a serial of 3266 & patent on the barrel of 1860. Any history on this cool little piece!? Value? Thanks in advance! [:)]

DSC00700.jpg

DSC00701.jpg

Comments

• 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Smith & Wesson #1, aka a "tip up" IIRC. From the era of the black powder 22 short. The pin protruding out fron is the ejector- remove cylinder, slide over pin to pop out fired cases.
  • glabrayglabray Member Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Appears to be a Smith & Wesson Model 1, third issue. The design is referred to as a "tip-up". It would be chambered for the .22 short rimfire black powder cartridge. Even in excellent condition, these guns are too weak to be safely fired with modern smokeless .22 shorts.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With the Birds Head Grips and Fluted Cylinder it appears to be #1 "Third Issue". With that low a serial number, I believe it would probably be a first year of production piece, circa 1868/69?

The nickel finish looks to be original also.

Flayderman, values them in the $200 to $500 range, depending on factory originality and condition. I would say yours would be towards the top end of that, if it's functional and the finish is original factory.
  • clickclickclickclick Member Posts: 346 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I pulled the grips out of curiousity & there is a star & V5 stamped on the right side of the frame. Also V5 on the cylinder & just below the bore. Any idea what this refers to? Also, what kind of wood did they use to make the grips, it almost looks black... Walnut maybe? Also I just noticed one grip is marked 3286 & matching to the gun. I had the serial wrong in the first post.
  • clickclickclickclick Member Posts: 346 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 11b6r
    Smith & Wesson #1, aka a "tip up" IIRC. From the era of the black powder 22 short. The pin protruding out fron is the ejector- remove cylinder, slide over pin to pop out fired cases.

Thanks for this info, never knew what that pin was for! [:D]