In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Model 700 in 6.5 Remington Magnum

famous wolffamous wolf Member Posts: 125 ✭✭
edited February 2009 in Ask the Experts
Anyone out there have a Model 700 chambered in the 6.5 Rem Mag. I understand that Remington chambered the 700 is this caliber from 1969 - 1973. I have a friend that has one that he is interested in selling. I have not seen the gun, but it has a 24 inch barrel - which should be an advantage over other models chambered in this round. I know that there are "issues" with overall length in the Model 700 short action - which is the same issue that the 600, 660, and 673 have had - basically not allowing a longer cartridge than 2.800. Some say you need a long action for this cartridge, but that defeats the purpose.

Comments

• nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    famous wolf,

You can use a Wyatt extended box on your Remington M700 or use a Badger Ordnance DM set up to get the added space you want without moving to a LA rifle.

I was going to add this to another post but I'll put it here instead.

The additional powder space gained with this cartridge when the bullet is seated out and the necessary powders will only make a slight difference in the velocity achieved without going to a longer barrel. While the 24" is nice, it won't show any significant gains like you would get from a much longer barrel.

Best.
  • famous wolffamous wolf Member Posts: 125 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nonsense:

Not sure I follow. Are you saying that having the ability to seat the bullet out farther won't make much difference or a longer barrel (i.e., 24") won't make much of a difference?

Thanks!
    edited November -1
    famous wolf,

"Nonsense:

Not sure I follow. Are you saying that having the ability to seat the bullet out farther won't make much difference or a longer barrel (i.e., 24") won't make much of a difference?"

While my previous explanation may have confused you, my screen name is 'nononsense'...[:D]

When I work with a longer box magazine and I can seat the bullets out further to say, 3.100" instead of the standard 2.800", you essentially gain about 4 grains of powder space. But when combined with the slow powders used with this cartridge combinations, the gain is less than amazing, amounting to 40-50 FPS. This is with the heavier hunting bullets of course.

Put the shoe on the other foot by using a longer barrel and the shorter seating (2.800") say, 24" and the gain is about the same, 40-50 FPS. Combining both will get some more additional FPS but nothing stellar. The big gains from longer barrels, 26-28" with the bullets seated out. This is part of Remington's reasoning behind doing what they did with this cartridge.

Now I need to make the same statement as usual:

Every rifle, barrel and load development can yield different results so there will be exceptions and that's what they are, exceptions, not the rule.

Best.
  • famous wolffamous wolf Member Posts: 125 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nonsense:
    Do you have experience with this caliber using the 2.800 seating and a 24 inch barrel? What kind of velocity do you get?

Thanks!
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by famous wolf
    Nonsense:
    Do you have experience with this caliber using the 2.800 seating and a 24 inch barrel? What kind of velocity do you get?

Thanks!

If you wish to keep having input from our moderator, you need to go by his username Nononsense, not nonsense, do not shorten it up. By the way...he is one of the best with expertise from experience, so don't shoot yourself in the foot
    edited November -1
    famous wolf,

Did I write something that offended you? If I did, it wasn't intentional...[;)]

"Do you have experience with this caliber using the 2.800 seating and a 24 inch barrel? What kind of velocity do you get?"

It depends on which bullet and what weight you're asking about.

Between the 6.5s, .25's, I think I've shot all of them in one cartridge or another and several barrel lengths.

One of the hunting loads I can remember off the top of my head is for the 140 gr. Nosler Partition which can get to 2900 to 2950 depending on the choice of powder. H-4831 is always good but then again I like the V V N-560 just as much if not a little better.

My favorite hunting load with this cartridge is the 125 gr. Nosler Partition and again either H-4831 or V V N-560 will get you somewhere around 3200 FPS.

Using my standard 300 yard zero, I'm good to about 500-550 yards with a solid rest and a good scope.

Best.