In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Mauser safety difficult to operate

PA ShootistPA Shootist Member Posts: 686 ✭✭✭
edited February 2009 in Ask the Experts
The safety (original military style wing-type, three positions) on my '43 La Coruna Spanish Mauser is very difficult to move from the "fire" position (fully left and down) to the first "safe" position (straight up, bolt not locked, trigger won't fire); it moves relatively easily from that straight-up position to the full right-side position (safe plus locked bolt). When first moving from "fire" to "safe", the cocking piece moves aft a visible amount, and it seems that the safety is working hard to push it back, with a poor mechanical advantage. I am thinking that there is wear, either on the bolt where the sear engages, or on the sear, or both, and the bolt is a little bit far forward. Is this a common problem? Is it reasonably easily repairable? I see no other burrs or roughness or other impediment to the movement of the safety wing. The rifle is otherwise in very good condition with a good bore and wood.

Comments

• BT99BT99 Member Posts: 1,043
    edited November -1
    Probably a burr on the safety. Can you remove the safety? Need to dis-assemble to bolt to do so. When you get the safety out, look at the tapered part that engages the cocking piece and moves it back. May have to smooth up the taper a little bit or change the angle of the taper.
  • Wehrmacht_45Wehrmacht_45 Member Posts: 3,377
    edited November -1
    Spanish Mausers tend to be among the roughest built, with the Turks being the worst IMHO.

I had a Czech Mauser that did the same. Mine was just full of gunk. I took the bolt apart, cleaned it, oiled it, and it seemed to get better with use and the fact it was not full of hard sticky grease.
  • PA ShootistPA Shootist Member Posts: 686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had disassembled the bolt, cleaned it completely, and looked at all the parts carefully. This example doesn't appear to be the usual Mauser or DWM or Steyr quality of fit an finish on the internal parts, as compared to other Mausers I have, but overall not bad.

I have looked at the safety several times, and the detents and the surfaces that cam the striker to lock it and/or release it appear smooth. The striker just seems to be forward a little too far for easy initial lift of the safety as it engages. At that point the striker is being held aft against the pressure of the main spring by the sear engagement, and moving the safety from the "fire" position must force the striker back a little, freeing it from the sear as the safety engages.

I suppose some sort of filing and polishing to alter the contour of the safety's lifting surface shape could help. I do appreciate any thoughts or ideas on the problem or process.
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    this is common on any mauser that has seen a lot of use, I usualy remove a little steel from the cocking piece were the safty engages it. there is more steel on the cocking piece to work with as opposed to modifying the safty, both parts are inexpensive if you go too far.