In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Gun lube question.

FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
edited February 2009 in Ask the Experts
I have to admit that during my 40 yrs of being a gun nut, I've never used any "gun lube" beyond gun oil on various working parts.
But during my recent CC class, the instructor touched on properly lubing semi auto handguns. Which has gotten me wondering if I should upgrade my care of my pistols.
So is oiling enough, or should I use some kind of gun grease? If so, on what parts specifially need it? I would assume the inside slide rails.

Comments

• perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    IMHO you need to be very careful with Grease . Yes I do use Rig .However any grease on semi auto pistols that will be subject to temp changes and I have found grease and cold weather do not mix. I love Balistoil as it is non toxic bio-degradable does not harm wood or leather and stays put on metal surfaces.
  • Cornflk1Cornflk1 Member Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Take a close look at the Miltec products. www.Miltec-1.com
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:I have to admit that during my 40 yrs of being a gun nut, I've never used any "gun lube" beyond gun oil on various working parts.
    Clearly, this hasn't been working for you for the last 40 years, so you MUST change what you do right away before all your guns are ruined! [;)]

Seriously, "need" for lube is actually kind of controversial, with different authorities citing different requirements for lube in different guns.

My (not particularly well-informed) opinion is that a SMALL amount of lubricant in guns on metal surfaces that rub together can't hurt and can potentially help to reduce wear and increase reliability.

I usually use CLP (its tried and true, and the "L" is supposed to be for "lubricant") to clean the guns, and with handguns I'll put a TINY drop of it in the slide rails. I think pretty much any standard gun oil would work and get you 90% of the way "there".

I'm sure there are other specialty products that would work as well, or possibly even better, but personally I'm really not too keen on fixing what ain't broke and Pepsi-challenging them.

One time I got a tube of "super advanced" gun lube as some promotion, and I used it. . .can't really say I noticed any difference in performance or wear. Maybe I would if I had the privilege of firing tens of thousands of rounds through my gun, but I suppose at that point, other things would be wearing out too, and lubricant wouldn't be able to help.

Too much lube is bad, since it can attract and retain dirt and gum things up. That's even more true of grease, though there are *certain* guns where a dab of grease is probably appropriate. For example some people swear by grease for their Glocks. . .others don't.