In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Trying to understand Ackley Improved

bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2009 in Ask the Experts
If I read what nononsense posted about the 30-06 AI chamber correctly the chamber of the AI will be .004 shorter at the neck shoulder junction?

Is that how you fireform AI cases? Simply load standard rounds in the AI and fire it, blowing the shoulder and case body out to the AI chamber dimensions?

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    bpost1958,

Yes. That's one of the great benefits of having an Ackley chamber, the fact that you can use regular off the shelf factory ammunition and simply fireform it in the Ackley chamber. No muss, no fuss, no mess.

Best.

ADDED:

Fireforming factory ammunition in an Ackley chamber is also a good argument for taking a wildcat hunting. If you do become separated from your ammunition, all you need to do is get some factory ammunition to use. Your initial velocity will be lower but a quick sight in will get you back on track so you can finish your hunt.

Best.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    yep,..insert and fire standard (parent) case. There should be, when CORRECTLY done, what we call a .003-.004" "crush" at the shoulder when you insert the parent case to be fired. The shoulder is being pressed firmly against the inside of the chamber shoulder, holding it in place for forming. That is the beauty of the ackley design. The parent ammunition can be used in a pinch and the design makes it far less likely to have poorly formed cases or weakened cases. I also load my bullets to be into the rifling for fireforming cases, which further assures that the case will make contact at BOTH the boltface and the shoulder,......perfect form in 1 firing.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    bpost1958,

The other truly amazing thing is that even though you have 'loose' shoulders that are going to be blown out, Standard rounds in an Ackley are still extremely accurate![;)] I believe it was JustC who went out and tested that theory one day....[:D]
  • Options
    Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep, that's the way it worked with a 25-35 W.C.F. Ackley Improved Winchester I once had!!!!

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!