In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Colt 32 Hammerless Auto

bjoiner912bjoiner912 Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
edited February 2009 in Ask the Experts
Can anyone honestly tell me the value of this gun.i have heard so many quotes on it.its a colt 32 auto,model 1903,made in 1936 from the ser.#,it is nickel(not nickel plated)this is a beautiful gun used very little.it would go 98-99%.i have seen a few on {elsewhere} from 795.00 to as high as 4000.00.but i would like a honest,fair value of the gun.i plan to sell it,but a fair price(not trying to retire off it.thanks for any help anyone can give me.bobby

Comments

• perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello Bobby First off they have never made a entire pistol out of Nickel. Nickel finish is PLATED Secondly the reason the price is all over the place is We have no way of knowing condition and if this condition is original factory or if it has been refinished . The only true way to give you a value is from a hands on inspection as well as a factory letter from colt. The next best way is only going to give you a range and will depend on how many and how good the pictures you post on this site. They must be detailed of all markings as well as close up and in focus. The price it will bring is also dependent on the quality of these same pictures when you place it up for sale. I don't want to be rude BUT the way your question now reads is akin to making a statement I have a 3 bedroom house made in 1996 what is it worth[?][?][?]
  • 22hipower22hipower Member Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bobby,
    Pictures would be a big help to folks in giving you an accurate estimate of value. I think you'll find the gun is nickel over steel. To give you a rough idea I traded a Series 70 45ACP for which I was asking $700 for a 1908 (380 ACP) in nickel with pearl grips in 95+% condition (no box or papers). The big difference in value in these is if they're marked US Property and there is provenance showing the gun belonged to a US Army General Officer. That can get the guns in to the several thousand dollar range. Pictures will make all the difference in allowing the experts to accurately value your gun. Probably in the $600 to $800 range if there are no unique markings, not US Property, no box and papers, and no provenance.
  • mrs102mrs102 Member Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In addition to the other recommendations. Do an advanced search on the auction side of this site. You'll find a selection for "completed auctions". Type in your pistols make and model and go over the results. You'll find photos to compare quality, prices asked, and sales realized. High quality Colts are good sellers but some sellers have a higher opinion of the value than the educated buyer(s).
  • MOONEDMOONED Member Posts: 936 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bob,
    I agree with the previous replies. One thing I did not see is anyone mentioning the colt emblem on the left/rear portion of the frame. If the colt is not "crisp", it may be a renickle job. Sometimes the serial number is still crisp, but the numbers have a deeper strike than the colt does, and are ofter still prevelant on a reblue.
    Anyway, I have had several of this model and wanted to mention that in the event pictures are not made available. If it is a reblue, $300.00 tops would be a the most you would probably get.

Anyway, my 2 cents.

Aaron
  • SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    here's a 1908 (same gun in 380)in blue. all original
    It sold for $1000. the book on it is 1400-1600 in >95% with box.
    the box is worth up to $200, depending on condition.
    colt made the 1903/1908 in many different finishes, even gold plate.
    there was also a choice of grips including walnut, ivory and mother of pearl. Ivory grips cost an extra 12 bucks in 1911!
    post a pic of yours if you can.
    tom

bluecolt.jpg