In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

H&R .32 questions

clickclickclickclick Member Posts: 346 ✭✭✭
edited March 2009 in Ask the Experts
I recently acquired this H&R from my client to sell on GBAuctions & was looking for any information I could get on it. It has a 5" barrel, wood grips (original?) & looks to be in good condition overall. Value?
Thanks!

DSC00702.jpg

DSC00703.jpg

DSC00704.jpg

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It would be best if you could give us a detailed description of all the markings, and partial serial number. The grips don't look original though.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yes sorry that would help!

The serial is 871 on the ejector, cylinder & 4871 under the left grip.
    Barrel marked Harrington & Richarson Arms Company Worcester. Mass. U.S.A. Oct.4.'87.Apr.2.'95.Apr.7.'96

Yea the grips do not look original but certainly do look good on the revolver.
  • Options
    41 nut41 nut Member Posts: 3,016
    edited November -1
    On an extra good day it might bring $10. around here.
  • Options
    32 Magnum32 Magnum Member Posts: 820 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's a 1st Model PREMIER, small frame auto ejector, chambered for .32 S&W (the short one) or .32 H&R Long (obsolete). It was made between 1897 (start of blued trigger guards)and 1904. In 1905 H&R began producing firearms capable of handling smokeless powder and at the same time began marking the cartridge on the left side of the barrel. Your piece is BLACK POWDER only. The 5 inch barrel is very scarce and desireable to those few of us foolish enough to get involved with collecting H&R firearms. The finish is about "average" for H&Rs of the black powder era, probably rating: "good." The grips are most likely not original. H&R offered as an option, checkered walnut grips, with black hard rubber as standard. The ones on the piece are very nicely figured and fitted. In the current condition, offered on a Gun Broker auction - it should fetch probably up to $175 - $185, if properly described.
    Jim Hauff - H&R Collector

p.s. - the little black button on the left side of the top strap is the latch hold open. Lift the latch, including the inner "tongue" - which retains the cylinder, while pushing this button in - let the button go and the latch should stay open allowing the cylinder to be pulled directly off the arbor. The full serial number will be present on the bottom side of the top strap. Would you please post that complete number including any letters found there, also. We can probably pin it down a little closer to a year of manuf, rather than the span. Thanks.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks 32Magnum, I was wondering how the get the cylinder off. The serial is 094871. We appreciate all the detailed info you provided!
  • Options
    32 Magnum32 Magnum Member Posts: 820 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    clickclick - the s/n prefix is 'O' (oh) was used from 1899 through 1902, with that serial, I'd be guessing that it was made in the front end of that range.
    The historical data is courtesy of Bill Goforth's research and the hard ware info is from my collection - you're welcome, glad to have helped.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 41 nut
    On an extra good day it might bring $10. around here.

Where is "here" for you?
  • Options
    41 nut41 nut Member Posts: 3,016
    edited November -1
    I'm in northern Maine.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the helpful info! It is always appreciated [:D]

Its at $28.00 within 24 hours of listing... I guess the market is better elsewhere than Maine huh?... [;)]