In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

SKS Paratrooper Gas Piston Length??

skipjackoneskipjackone Member Posts: 208 ✭✭✭
edited March 2009 in Ask the Experts
Can anyone tell me the correct overall length of the gas piston for a Norinco SKS, Paratrooper with a 16" barrel? The rod in the rifle is 8.593", (218.28 mm).I want to be certain the new piston I just installed is in fact for a Paratrooper.

Comments

• texas gunplumbertexas gunplumber Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    sks paratrooper barrel was just shortened.
    the action from the gas block to the rear of the receiver,are the same as standard sks
  • skipjackoneskipjackone Member Posts: 208 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had to trim ~ 20mm from the Tapco piston I installed to match
    the length of the damaged piston I replaced. That's why I was wondering if there was difference between the standard SKS and the paratrooper.
    edited November -1
    This is the first time I haven't been buried with replies and technical data when I asked a question. Come on guys, break down your SKS Paratroopers, measure the gas piston rods and let me know the length.
  • ltslts Member Posts: 811 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    for sh_ts and giggles, how did you damage the piston?
    edited November -1
    I repaired the rifle for a friend. The gas piston appeared to have been smashed against a solid object, (maybe someone installed the piston extension backwards and fired). That would explain the damaged one I had to drive out with a punch. Any other ideas on how somebody could so damage a gas piston??