In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

what parts need to be oiled/lubed

joshmb1982joshmb1982 Member Posts: 8,929
edited March 2009 in Ask the Experts
on semi auto rifles(m1a,ar15) and pistols (xdm) all ive ever done is spray it with some oil and then whipe most all of it off. should i leave some on?

Comments

• Options
    mrs102mrs102 Member Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No one seems to want to touch this question. In my opinion oil is overdone. I primarily use it for rust prevention and what I use are products that have evaporating liquid and leave the rust protection behind such as Rem Oil. Some very tight, precision firearms may need a little grease or oil lubrication on parts that slide against each other; but for the most part, oil collects dirt, unburnt gunpowder, and the by-products of burning gunpowder. This makes the oil thicken, gritty and/or goo-ey, makes it somewhat harder to clean and may actually contribute to abnormal wear. (And now there will be responses that say I don't what the heck I'm talking about).

Look at your owners manual (or get one) and follow the manufacturers recommendations.
  • Options
    Winston BodeWinston Bode Member Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In My opinion semi-auto rifles and pistols need very little lubrication while being stored or carried. Now, if you are going to the range and know you are going to shoot two or three hundred rounds through said pistol or rifle then lube the heck out of it. That will get you through your range session without any malfunctions and will make it easier to clean later.

When you get it clean, especially if you use something like gun scrubber, then lightly oil it before you put it back in the safe or back in the holster. That should serve you and the firearm well.

Again, just my opinion, but this has worked for me for years.

Bode
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I generally do what you do, Josh. A light coat of Rem Oil after cleaning, then wipe it off, & handle with cotton gloves to avoid fingerprints. I will put the smallest amount of grease on the rail contact area of semi-autos before shooting to reduce friction.

Your M1A requires grease on the receiver/bolt/oprod contact points in order to function reliably. Check an owners manual for the specific areas. I use Militec-1 or Lubriplate grease.

Neal
  • Options
    ltslts Member Posts: 811 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Run mine wet with aerosol Rem oil or CLP. Clean up is quick and easy. Light coat with same for storage.
  • Options
    Wehrmacht_45Wehrmacht_45 Member Posts: 3,377
    edited November -1
    Oil where metal rubs metal.
  • Options
    iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IIRC the M1A1, like the M1 Garand and M1 Carbine before it, requires Grease on the sliding surfaces.
  • Options
    MaaloxMaalox Member Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I Put a drop of oil oneach of the contact points between the slide and frame on my semi auto pistols. This is based on the XD owners manual.

I will also wipe the barrel with an oil dampened patch after cleaning. inside and out.
    Regards, MAALOX