In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

M1 carbines in korean war

rockscramblerrockscrambler Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
edited March 2009 in Ask the Experts
my friend has a M1 that was his fathers I showed him a picture of one on here and he said it looks right.
My question is basic value of a Korean war era M1 (unsure if combat issued or not) and also any veriations I am thinking of buying it but want to make sure it is really of that era and what it is worth.

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There's no really no such thing as a "Korean War era" carbine. All carbines were produced during WW2; by the Korean War, most had been arsenal rebuilt, or, at the very least, had the flip sight replaced with an adjustable sight.

So, there's only "WW2 era" & "everything else". You have to judge it like any other carbine based on condition & originality of parts.

Neal
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Make sure it's not marked M 2, even though it doesn't have the selective fire linkage mechanism assembled.
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I recall seeing a carbine marked M2 for sale at a local gun shop years ago.
  • Options
    carolinashootercarolinashooter Member Posts: 339 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    That M2 marking makes it a machine gun in the eyes of BATFE, irregardless of anything else. Stay WAY away from these without the paper work!
  • Options
    Mort4570Mort4570 Member Posts: 472 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ok,is it an M1 CArbine,or an M1? You are using both terms.

Carbine,and M1 value is highly dependant on who the mfgr was from what I've read about them.Do you know who made this one ?
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In the American Army, carbines were updated periodically and also as they came in for repair. Late in the Korean War 7th Div M1 carbines were converted to M-2. Other updates were safety, rear sight, magazine catch?? and potbelly stocks when originals were found cracked.
    To my knowledge, the ROK Army used the M-1 carbine which I doubt were updated.
    Turkish and Ethiopian forces were also part of the 7th Division and used our weaponry. We did field inspections of their stuff but no updates. USAF carbines would have to be researched on updates and configuration.
    The point here is there was no single "correct" M-1 Carbine configuration for the Korean War except maybe in stateside armories during that period.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    on the reciever butt it has - E.F.M and under that #1093
    on the retaining plate it shows - rock ola
    it does not have the combat stock it has a hunting stock with an extended check pad
    on the magazine release it has - M
    and on the safty - EPB
    the trigger guard is more of a brown color almost like tarnished brass.
  • Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sport gun is maybe $400.00
  • Options
    edited November -1
    sorry don't know if it makes a difference the stock is obviously nowhere near as old as the reciever so is probably a replacement and the seriel is 1063 not 1093.
  • Options
    sentry dog 69sentry dog 69 Member Posts: 72 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was stationed in Korea in '69. Many of the ROK troops( White Horse Division) carried M1 carbines and a few carried the M2, though I don't know how numerous the M2 was.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry, you have not given us enough information for us to tell you how much it is worth.

We DO know that it has a commercial sporter stock; other than that, we don't even know that it is a USGI carbine (as opposed to a commercial copy). You will need to post photos that show us all markings on the barrel & receiver.

Neal