In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Model 1892 French Revolver questions

clickclickclickclick Member Posts: 346 ✭✭✭
edited March 2009 in Ask the Experts
I acquired this revolver from my client to sell on GB auctions & have some questions...
It is serial #F65604P & marked Mre d'Armes - Lt Etienne. Anyone know when the D.O.M. was on this revolver? Any history would be greatly appreciated along with value & does anyone know the caliber?.
Thanks in advance!
Jonathan

DSC00695.jpg

DSC00696.jpg

DSC00697.jpg

DSC00699.jpg

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your serial number range put the DOM as being in the mid 1890's. This make it a antique as far as the feds are concerned, which would be a plus to certain collectors.

It was the standard official military sidearm of the French and was manufactured in their military arsenal between the early 1890's and the mid 1920's.

The caliber is Model 92, 8mm French, ordnance revolver.

I would try to very carefully clean the revolver, to get as much as the surface rust off, without damaging the underlying original finish.

Being a antique would enhance it's value, carefully cleaned it would probably be worth between $300 & $500 to a knowledgeable collector. The internal condition of the cylinder and barrel would also affect it's value to a collector.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hey thanks rufe-snow, your info was a big help as always! [:)]
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by clickclick
    Hey thanks rufe-snow, your info was a big help as always! [:)]

Most all of the barrels on the Model 1892's have their DOM stamped on them. If yours isn't dated, it's most likely a W W I arsenal rework. This type of rework Model 1892 is very uncommon, and might be even more desirable to a W W I collector, over and above it having legal status as a antique.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Anyone know if this is a rim or center fire?
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    Easy. With the action open, look into the muzzle of the barrel. Does the firing pin hole appear in the center of the image? That's centerfire. Best, Joe