In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Metal Gun Vice Suggestions

JuggernautJuggernaut Member Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2009 in Ask the Experts
Looking for a well made solid metal gun vice with the rubber padding of course that has some weight for stability for projects such as removing a front sight with a hammer and punch for example as well as other projects where the weight of the vice would greatly enhance stability as the plastic ones just seem to light and plastic, any good suggestions?
Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try looking at any good home improvement store...Home Depot, Lowe's, and Sears would make a good start. You need something you can bolt down to a bench, and add padding to the jaws as you wish.

Best
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tsr1965
    Try looking at any good home improvement store...Home Depot, Lowe's, and Sears would make a good start. You need something you can bolt down to a bench, and add padding to the jaws as you wish.
    Best

Have never seen anything like that at those stores, but I will contact them and inquire...
    Any particular brand or model that I should be looking for perhaps?
  • Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Juggernaut
    Best

Have never seen anything like that at those stores, but I will contact them and inquire...

I think he is referring to a bench vise.
    What I've used for quite a few years now is a Lohman sight vise. I simply clamp it into the vise bolted to my bench. I can then swivel, or lock, the bench vise on it's base and rotate the gun in the Lohman sight vise.
  • Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    I got a $40, 4" made in China bench vice from one of the hardware stores a few years back. Works great for all my projects.

It is great because some of my projects require being able to clamp directly to the metal. For others I use padding between the metal and project. For others I use leather pads. Other I clamp in gun specific blocks that the gun attaches to.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by asphalt cowboy
    quote:Originally posted by Juggernaut
    Best

I think he is referring to a bench vise.
    What I've used for quite a few years now is a Lohman sight vise. I simply clamp it into the vise bolted to my bench. I can then swivel, or lock, the bench vise on it's base and rotate the gun in the Lohman sight vise.

Yeah I suppose that might work okay, I believe that the Lohman sight vise is polymer though and I just prefer metal over plastic, another idea would be to have 2 bench vices and pad them and place the firearm in both for stability...
    I was just wanting a good heavy metal gun vice, which would be stable and having the option of bolting it down to the bench would also be a plus as well.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Nwcid
    I got a $40, 4" made in China bench vice from one of the hardware stores a few years back. Works great for all my projects.
    It is great because some of my projects require being able to clamp directly to the metal. For others I use padding between the metal and project. For others I use leather pads. Other I clamp in gun specific blocks that the gun attaches to.

Is it metal, can you post a link to one perhaps or a description of it, maybe it has a brand name on it or something as I have looked all over and they all seem to be plastic?
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Seems obvious, but have you checked Brownell's and Midway?

I rather assumed you would have. If you cannot find it there, it is probably not out there as you want it and that leaves you little choice but to build your own.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    A good 4-5in. bench vice is what you need. You can get some heavy leather to pad it with. That is what I use. Or go to a tire shop and get a scrap inner tube and cut what you need.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by He Dog
    Seems obvious, but have you checked Brownell's and Midway?

Yeah, but didn't really see what I was looking for...

quote:Originally posted by dcs shooters
    A good 4-5in. bench vice is what you need. You can get some heavy leather to pad it with. That is what I use. Or go to a tire shop and get a scrap inner tube and cut what you need.

May just have to do that since what I am looking for doesn't seem to exist or at least I just haven't located it; would have to be careful not to overtighten using a bench vice though, there are some bench gun vices that might work.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the helpful replies, much appreciated.
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a lot of vices.
    But only two vises.
    I have a large general purpose bench vise and a nice older Pittsburgh cross slide.
    I use leather, aluminum or lead between the vice jaws and the item being worked.

CP
  • Options
    I.ShuteI.Shute Member Posts: 647
    edited November -1
    CP -
    I also use leather, aluminum or lead in my VISE jaws, but my vices don't have jaws.