In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

New Model Ruger Single Six

brummiejimbrummiejim Member Posts: 324 ✭✭✭
edited September 2009 in Ask the Experts
Hi, Experts. Anyone have any feedback they'd like to share on the Ruger Super (new model/current model) Single Six? Any ideas about the best barrel length for optimum performance? I have a chance to buy one with an offer in several barrel lengths. Good plinker or target gun? Thoughts? Thanks! Jim

Comments

• Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Generally speaking, longer barrels are best for optimum performance. You get more velocity and the sight radius is longer for more precise aiming. There comes a point, however, when too much barrel becomes a burden. For carry and plinking a 6" to 7" barrel is good. When you have 10" or longer barrels they begin to be a little awkward for carry..IMHO.

Ruger makes a convertible model Single Six with an extra cylinder for .22 Mag. There are a bunch of these on the block at a local auction next month.
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jim, I've owned several and loved them all. I'm partial to the 5 1/2 but it's a matter of taste more than performance. Longer barrel gets you a bit more velocity and a longer sight radius but some find a shorter barrel easier to shoot well. 4 5/8 to 7 1/2 suit me fine. Not comfortable going shorter or longer.
    Buy the one that feels best in your hand then buy lots of ammo. You'll never wear it out.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,953 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have one in stainless, 5.5" barrel. The Beaver might have said, "It's swell!"