In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

savage 1917

SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
well, now that i have this little pistol, i want to know more about it and savage of that era in general.
here's what i bought;
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=137992187

there's not alot of info out there, that i can find. i did find a 1970's gun mag article discussing the good and bad, but no real authorities on the savage pistols. (you know, like bert is for winchester).
anybody an expert on these funny looking guns?
thanks
tom

EDIT:
thanks hipower, i had never seen one of these guns until i came across the auction. it seems to be very well made, very close tolerance machining (kinda reminds me of early astra) an the gun is tight, especially considering its 90 yrs old. takes some effort to rack the slide. agree, the 1907 is very similar. it doesn't have the flaired grip , if i remember right.

Comments

• Options
    22hipower22hipower Member Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you're a movie fan you may have noticed the Savage pistol in the Tom Hanks film The Road to Perdition. The one in that film was actually the earlier 1907 version but they look pretty much alike.

http://www.imfdb.org/index.php/Road_to_Perdition

Interesting to see a relatively rare pistol show up in a film. Can't help with more info about the gun though.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    IMHO one of the classic High Quality American Pocket Pistols of bygone days I had a operators manual that was titled 10 quick shoots "IT BANISHES FEAR" and depicted a bad guy being shot by the owner of this fine pistol . no P.C. on this manual. Sort of a strange takedown but a giant type of this pistol was even entered in the U.S. Military pistol trials.
  • Options
    SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    thanks perry. I'll try and locate one of those manuals. would be a great addition to the gun! I bought a new copy of the boxes they came in, black with a beige side label and savage info printed inside the lid (kinda like colt used to do back then). i understand the guns were just wrapped in that brown wax paper and stuck in the box (got any brown wax paper?[;)]). also picked up a copy of an operating manual (not the one you had), it's obvious it's a copy, but it's good info on takedown etc.
    ran a mag thru it yesterday, shoots well. i'll do a full "range report" when i get the time.
    tom