In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

A little help please

jmaustinjmaustin Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
New to the site as you can tell by my join date. I am also sort of newbie to gun info/history, but thought this would be the best place to start. I ran across the following at an antique/junk sale and had some value and/or "what are they" questions.
Again, please forgive the pics and info as I am new to this and was not really prepared with a good camera or what to look for and/or ask. The info I do have may be very broad but anything you know will help.
Here is what I know:

Gun 1: J Stevens SXS http://www.flickr.com/photos/jon_mckee/sets/72157622487853532/
From what I could find on the net it should be pre 1940 since the inscripted name said J Stevens Arms Company, but I have not found any of these on GB or other sites with the same insignia on the side (last pic). I did not see any other markings, but did not open it up to look under the barrels.

Gun 2: Unknown
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jon_mckee/sets/72157622363255565/
As you can see in the photos, made in Brazil; Serial# (I assume) 700370; Not sure on the insignia. ERA?

Gun 3: Unknown
No Pics. It was an old SXS w/ hammers, no visible markings and the latch to open it was on the bottom which I hadn't seen. It had a large latch to break it open and a smaller latch mounted under the larger to break it completely.
The seller's story was that it was made in Belgium used in WW_ and in poor condition b/c it was pulled out of one of the gun piles that they had run over with tanks after the war.

Thanks,

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I hate to be a pest but I have searched all over the net looking for the DOM for my new Winchester Model 75 #3419 And also I am looking to change the size of my target disk in the Aperture sight. The one I have is a small disk with a large hole. I am looking for the large disk with a small hole. One more thing? Is the thread size on the disk 7/32"-40 thread.

Found this place with parts but I think they are a re-make
    http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=862/Product/SIGHT_APERTURES

And this one too

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=3228/sku/3_8__x__050__Aperture

Thank you for your help I tried to figure it out for myself. This is all very new to me. I gave up racing vintage motocross (Hurt to many times) and decided to shoot in the 22 cal. matches they have going on around here in the Seattle area.

DGRM125
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Just from the brief description, it doesn't sound like anything worthwhile. Get some books about guns you like and study them, check out the auctions for price and descriptions, and study some more. There are still plenty of gems awaiting in some long forgotten attic and closets, but there's way more junk out there too.
    I'd pass on the three you listed.
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    We've got the descriptions. Now it's very important for us to know the asking prices in order to influence the decision process. Best, Joe
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Joe and skyking,
    I am definitely going to keep studying, but ran across these and was wondering if they might be a good starting block.
    I could get the first two for $125 per. The seller of the third said he had it appraised for $500-$600, but since he couldn't show me anything i'm sure that is a mint price. He had a sticker of $275, but I could work him down to 200-225. Especially with the amount of work it needed (All parts were there and in tact, but definitely not in shot-able condition). I assumed these may be pretty plain jane, but you got to start somewhere.
  • Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would avoid the J. Stevens like the plague. The top lever comes to rest well left of center when closed. Meaning the action is worn and in need of work.

I'm not much impressed with the low grade Brazilian guns. All of them I've seen weren't worth the effort to pound them down for tomato stakes.

The Belgian might have been a possibility had it been in good enough condition dependent on the makers marks.
    I personally would try to steer beginning shooters away from the under lever guns. They tend to have short chambers and will not withstand the pressures generated by modern ammo. Factory loaded low pressure ammo is available, but very few companies make it. I personally roll my own for my Husqvarna Model 20.
    They are interesting guns and are a joy to shoot, but they must be in top mechanical condition with barrels tight on face and fed proper ammunition.

From your description it would look like this Husqvarna. Correct?
    http://v4.beta.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=141603054

Good luck in your search. The hunt is half the fun.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    asphalt, that is exactly what I was looking for.
    Your link looks to be right on with the Belgian, but yes, the condition was a shame. I almost laughed out loud when the guy told me "it would probably fire, but I wouldn't recommend it."
    Thanks and may the search and learning continue.