In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Rem 870 Deer Barrel

bob6565bob6565 Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
I will be purchasing a rifle sight barrel for my son's 870 Jr 20ga. My question is, can you shoot buck shot from a rifled barrel? Here in NJ I like to use a slug backed up with buck shot. (You don't want them to run far, they get into neighborhoods.) Just wondering if I can use a rifled barrel with buck shot or should I purchase a smooth bore.

Thanks..

Comments

• Options
    woodshed87woodshed87 Member Posts: 25,785
    edited November -1
    1st of all Welcome to GB[:D] Second I wouldn't Use Buckshot in a Rifled Barrel As it will Come out Of it Like the water comes out of your Sink Sprayer.
    If you must use Buckshot Use a Smooth Bore[^] Enjoy the Forums
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    Really not a good idea at all unless your lifes on the line..........
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    bob6565,

Welcome to the forums here on Gunbroker.

I would use a smoothe bore barrel anyway. For the most part a good rifled slug like the Brenneke, or most Winchester, Federal, or Remington Rifled slugs will shoot 3-4 inch groups at 100 yards, and some much better. You can also use the smoothe bore barrel for shot...oncluding buckshot. You might get one that has a choke tube too, that can be changed out for a rifled choke tube, or any choke constriction you want.

Best

EDIT 1

You might get away with a Hastings or an E.R. Shaw barrel and rifled slugs or bird shot. The Remington Barrels are made by Mossberg, and have very sharp cut deep rifling for sabbot use only.

Best
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,956 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Second on using a smooth barrel for rifled alugs. We scraped a rifled barrel and replaced it with a shot barrel and accuracy actually improved.

Shot from rifled barrels tends to be like spraying a stream through a shower head. Grooves tend to lead up too.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What was the Make of that Rifled Barrel ?
    And do you still Have it? Might Have a Home For it $ Please
    Email Me As per My Profile Thanks ...quote:Originally posted by He Dog
    Second on using a smooth barrel for rifled alugs. We scraped a rifled barrel and replaced it with a shot barrel and accuracy actually improved.

Shot from rifled barrels tends to be like spraying a stream through a shower head. Grooves tend to lead up too.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,956 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry woodshed, offers to buy or sell are not allowed on this forum, but the barrel in question is not for sale, it is government property and would have to go through a bid process. Sorry.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    OOOPPPSS.Sorry[:I]quote:Originally posted by He Dog
    Sorry woodshed, offers to buy or sell are not allowed on this forum, but the barrel in question is not for sale, it is government property and would have to go through a bid process. Sorry.
  • Options
    bob6565bob6565 Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks everyone for your input. Smooth bore it is!
  • Options
    BGHillbillyBGHillbilly Member Posts: 1,927 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You should be able to find a smooth bore barrel with the rifle sights. Know the make them for mossberg. A 20 ga vent rib 870 with a modified choke should pattern good enough to 100 yds, a friend of mine used to group about 6" with his at a 100 back before rifled barrels became the norm, I lost several dollars betting aginst him.