In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

22-250 barrel change on Ruger #1

RobinRobin Member Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2010 in Ask the Experts
I have an older (Red recoil pad) #1 B chambered in 22-250. Its one of those rifles with pretty/real nice furniture. It is all factory original with the regular thin barrel. I would like to change the original barrel to a thick walled 22-250 varmint barrel. I am wondering if a conversion is the way to go or would it be better to try to sell my rifle and replace it with one set up as a varmint rifle? It seems like some extensive work would have to be done on the forearm. Any suggestions for someone that could do this conversion?

EDIT: It is not an AB model and does not have factory sights. I do have a #1 AB model like you describe in 270 Winchester. I'm in Central Florida sorta near Orlando

Comments

• Options
    azpowerwagonazpowerwagon Member Posts: 376 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Any good gunsmith will be able to do this job for you. The only really sticky part is cutting the extractor clearance, but not that tough after having done it numerous times. As you note, the forend will have to be opened up to fit the larger diameter barrel. The original rib can be mounted on the new barrel or custom 2 pc mounts installed. Don't know where you're located, but S&W Gunsmithing in Peoria, AZ can do this job for you and with decent turn around.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If this is the model with the Alexander Henry style forearm, and nice sights, do NOT mess with it. Keep it, and stick it in the safe for further use. I would get one in the SS Varmint configuration if that is what you want, or something like a Tikka, or Savage bolt gun.

Best

EDIT 1

So you have a Ruger #1-B. I would sell it and get myself a varming model of something in 22-250.

Best