In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Question about inherited pistols.

Mike77Mike77 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited August 2010 in Ask the Experts
I inherited 2 firearms. A S&W model 39 9mm from 1955-1959
A Pistolet Automatique model "Ideal", F. Arizmendi y Goenaga-Eibar ~1920. .32 ACP

I was planning on getting them inspected, rebluing them and replacing the grips. But before I do, I want to make sure they have no collector value. I don't want to ruin them.

Thanks,

Mike

IMG_2978_1.jpg

IMG_2979_1.jpg

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wouldn't waste my time or money by having any work done on the Spanish pistol. It's whats called by collectors a "Ruby Type" pistol. Many thousands were made by various Spanish manufacturers during the First World War era, primarily for the French Army. They were sold as surplus back in the 60's for $20-$30. Maybe worth $50-$125, nowadays.

Probably fixing up the S & W would be OK. Doesn't look to be a high dollar variation, that your going to ruin it's collectors value.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I really can't tell you how collectible the S&W is, because your photo is not good enough for us to read the serial number & model number on the frame. Unless it is a rare variation (unlikely), the rust on the slide ruined any collector value. The slide could be reblued, but the aluminum slide would have to be re-annodized. If it were mine, I'd ask S&W if they would repair/refinish it; if they won't do it, I'd leave it alone.

Your ruby-type Spanish pistol actually looks to be in pretty good condition. It's worth about $200; reblued, it would be worth about $200. I would leave it alone.

Neal
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with Neal, the Ideal really looks pretty good and is best left alone.

I think I would have the S&W's slide and any other flawed steel parts reblued and not get into the involvement and cost of anodizing the aluminum frame. I would do that AFTER testfiring it to be sure I had a workable gun to start with.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maybe I'm out of the loop? But 2 bills for a Ruby seems awful optimistic. Specially nowadays when every body and their brother are out looking for a job.
  • Options
    midnightrunpaintballermidnightrunpaintballer Member Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know about collector value on the smith, but I have to say that is a nice looking piece! I see a lot of potential there as long as there's no value to ruin. Congrats.
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why not treat it with anti rust solutions buff it and oil it up enjoy it for a while and see what you can research. They are very nice pistols. The problem is mearly cosmetic and you will be able to enjoy in the meanwhile.
    Congrats on your legacy.
  • Options
    gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    Mike77.....no collector value with either piece. The little Spaniard looks like it is in good shape except for some holster wear around the muzzle so I would leave it alone. The Model 39 does have slide issues on the one side we can see. How to deal with rust has been discussed on GB Experts several times over the last month or two so you might visit those discussions for some valuable information. I am not much for Ruby pistols but I love my Model 39's[^] and shoot them a lot and even CC them from time to time. The are good shooters and while not a "wonder 9" they have good balance and carry well. I would clean it up and shoot it before making up my mind on rebluing. Getting both inspected by a competent gunsmith is before you do anything is a [:D]idea. Good luck!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Actually, there is no rust on the slide. What you are seeing is where the bluing has rubbed off. The pistol is oiled and free of all rust and pits and is in good working order.

My grampa was a seriouly sick racist idiot who believed that there would be a race war or the Russians would come screaming down from the north. He used to buy new issue firearms as soon as they became available and pack them in oil rags and bury them on his ranch in Montana. Along with the pistol I got 5000 rounds of ammunition and 20 magazines. Interestingly enough, the ammo is still good, or at least if fires.

Based on my grampa's predisposition, I assume the pistol was purchased soon after 1955 when the gun lost out on military trials and became available to the public. Serial numbers were not put on the model 39 until the early 70's. This weapon does not have a serial number. It is stamped with 64664, but it is not a serial number.

" but the aluminum slide would have to be re-annodized." I assume you mean frame, not slide, the slide is carbon steel.

Mike
  • Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mike77

Based on my grampa's predisposition, I assume the pistol was purchased soon after 1955 when the gun lost out on military trials and became available to the public. Serial numbers were not put on the model 39 until the early 70's. This weapon does not have a serial number. It is stamped with 64664, but it is not a serial number.

" but the aluminum slide would have to be re-annodized." I assume you mean frame, not slide, the slide is carbon steel.

Mike

Actually, serial numbers on pistols were required since the early 30s... check it really careful, if it had a serial number and it was removed/defaced, then it could mean a long stay at the gray bar hotel..
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Serial numbers were not put on the model 39 until the early 70's. This weapon does not have a serial number. It is stamped with 64664, but it is not a serial number.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but that is nonsense.
    In the first place, all firearms sold in the USA after 1968 were required to have a serial number.
    In the second place, that is the location for the serial number on a Model 39, so what other number could it be?
    In the third place, that would be news to the guy with no 7452 from 1957 or 1958 over on the S&W board.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    In that case, the number stamped above the trigger gaurd 64664 must be the serial number. No other numbers are on the gun.

I forgot the volatile nature of opinions on message boards. I apologize for being 100% accurate on what I say. I'll endeavor to do better.