In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

NEF Handi rifle

dubleuhbdubleuhb Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
edited September 2010 in Ask the Experts
Does any one have any experience with the NEF/H&R Handi rifle. I've got the bug to get a rifle in .17 HMR. I looked at the Marlin .17VS, it seems pretty nice but maybe the Handi rifle in .17 HMR and an extra barrel in a large caliber would be a better alternative. I'm assuming the rifle's design will accept both a rim fire and center fire barrel? Any suggestions on a place to buy a Handi Rifle?

Worry is the interest humans pay on the debt of miscalculation.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I have a New England Firearms Handi rifle in .223, i sent it back to the factory and had it fitted with a .22 Hornet barrel and a 20 gauge
    fully rifled slug barrel, all three have a scope mounted, nothing
    high end. I am looking to trade this but i'm not sure what the package is worth. Any thoughts on value, thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My nephew brought me his NEF handi rifle in .223 to extract a spent case that would not eject. I managed to press it out with a cleaning rod from the muzzle end.

It seems like the extractor/ejector doesn't grab the rim of the case and extract it. One of two things happens...1. The extractor/ejector misses the rim altogether and pops out without the case, or 2. the extractor/ejector does not pop out when the gun is broke open.

It seems worse with spent cases as live rounds usually eject. I thought dirty or tight chamber, but after a thorough cleaning it still does it. Is this problematic with handi rifles? Any ideas?
  • Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    The combos with a rifle,shotgun, and rimfire barrel retail for $300 or so...

So I'd say $250-300.

EDIT - Correct, but to get max value you'd have to find someone who wants both the 223 and 22 hornet barrels. Most times when dealing with a used rifle w/ scope the scope doesn't enter into the $ equation, unless it is a high end item...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    This has 2 rifle barrels and a shotgun barrel all with scopes mounted, each one has less than 50 rnds through it, thought it would fetch a little more than that.
  • Options
    mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You didn't say what scopes - makes a lot of difference. Put it up on the action side and you will get what it is worth - almost.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    dubleuhb,

Hello, and welcome to the forums here on Gunbroker!

If you really want to know what true value is, try this. Take some well lit pictures of the rifle and accessories together, as you would sell them. Post them on the auction side for the whole web to see. Start the auction at $0.01, with no reserve, and run it for 10 days. In exactly 10 days and one second after you click that submit button, you will know exactly how much it is worth, or what the market will bear.

Best
  • Options
    sharpshooter039sharpshooter039 Member Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    used handi rifle with a barrel runs around $150 here. I can find extra barrels for a $100 ea. So to me I would be thinking $350 plus value of scopes. Now I am no expert but that is all I would give for them..