In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

auto-ordinance 45 1911

papajimpapajim Member Posts: 158 ✭✭✭
edited September 2010 in Ask the Experts
I am hearing some of these guns are good and some are not. Had a question on "general discussion" and got some good replies but not all I need. Which ones are good and which are not good? Are there serial numbers to watch for. The one I just took in is AOA10XXX and is a 1911PKZ SE. Thanks is advance for the good replies.

Comments

• Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello again. I don't know of any blocks or groups that were all bad. Guess there could be a series out there that are not up to par. I will try to research this for you and get back. bob
  • Options
    papajimpapajim Member Posts: 158 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks, I do not normally do this much looking into a gun but my grandson took a liking to it and wants to keep it. If it has a bad reputation we will get him another one. I have never traded for one of these. I am leaning toward letting him keep it.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For whatever reason the "Ordnance" is spelled without an "i".

Historically, the Auto-Ordnance 1911 pistols have had a spotty reputation in terms of quality. That's about all I can say on that. I have no idea how good (or bad) their recent manufacture pistols are, but the Kahr guns are reasonably good.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I worked on one of the original Gun Parts Corporation made Auto Ordnance's years ago. This was before Kahr bought them out. It was kind of on the rough side but had nothing basically wrong with it. The guy who owned it complained that it wasn't feeding lead semi-wadcutter bullets. But I got it working OK with a little Dremeling. It seemed to me to be a descent enough gun for being a basic entry level .45. Let your Grandson shoot it with hardball,(FMJ) ammo. As long as it functions OK your ahead of the game. If he wants to use JHP's all's it's likely to take is a little TLC to get it working OK.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    My answer here is the same as in your post in the GD forum [;)]