In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

ruger 77 dilemma. What to do

hadjiihadjii Member Posts: 976 ✭✭
edited September 2010 in Ask the Experts
Well, I got the new 77 in 300 RCM. After spending $650 on the rifle, and then spending another $300 on a new trigger and a muzzle re-crown, and then taking the rifle home and floating the barrel and pillar bedding the stock, I find the rifle is a mess. Not because of anything that was done to the rifle by the gunsmith or myself, but the poor quality of workmanship at the factory. First off, the side rails were sharp as a knife blade and was really gouging the brass. The rifle was also jamming at the feed ramp, but the worst thing is, is that the rifle is throwing everything about 2 inches left at 60 yards with the iron sights. It sure looks to me like the rear sight ramp is slightly off center to the left, which by my way of thinking, would throw the p.o.i. to the left. I have the rear sight adjusted all the way to the right, and still 2" left. And here's the real dilemma. I have an elk trip in Colorado in 6 weeks. Now, I know I'm going to put a scope on the rifle, however, I always want the iron sight to be functional and sighted in, and as it is now, that's not going to happen. If I send the rifle back to Ruger, I suspect that they are going to tell me that the warranty has been voided 10 ways of Sunday, even though what we did has nothing to do with the rear sight being on caddy-whompus. My question, is this. Does anybody have any possible solutions that can be done in time for my hunt in 6 weeks other than to not use the iron sights? Thanks for inputs to this long drawn out scenario.

RCrosby, all the work was done before the first cartridge was chambered. I like Ruger rifles, but this isn't the first or second one I own, so I decided to just go ahead and do the work before I even waste any ammo. The trigger is now excellent. I know for a fact the crown is correct. Stability and consistency has been enhanced with the pillars and the barrel float, but the galling of the brass from the rail and the sights not being functional is garbage.

Comments

• HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would mount a good scope and sight it in. In the unlikely event that you have to revert to irons sights on the hunt, just use what we in hipower rifle competition used to call "Kentucky windage". Just aim about 2" to the right if shooting at 60 yards, 3" if at at 90 yards etc. This will get you by this elk season. When time permits you can address the poorly mounted rear sight.
  • RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm curious. Was the work in response to poor accuracy or other problems that surfaced during early firing?
    In any event, first thing I'd do is call Ruger, give them the whole story and see what they say. My guess is that they may be cautious in their response in light of the amount of work done, and want to see the rifle before they commit. I've always had excellent service from them, though, and wouldn't be at all surprised if they had it fixed and back to you in time for the hunt. That said, I wouldn't bet the hunt on it, and would either scope it, go hunt, and deal with the iron sight issue when I returned, or send it to them and have a back-up gun lined up if needed.
    Good luck.
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since the mid 1990's, Ruger's quality has declined, so it is about level with Mossberg. It is surely at least hit or miss. Hindsight is always 20/20, and nothing can be done about that now. Call Ruger, and see what they say.

If you need a back up, drop me an e-mail. I have a 1st generation Browning A-Bolt SS in 30-06, that is a proven Colorado bull Elk killer. It is not for sale, but can be used...and it is lite!

Best

EDIT 1

Well, after hearing MFI's report, it sounds like you might have a real project on your hands. If Ruger will not rebarrel it with a properly installed sight system, then, if you want the iron sight option, there is only to have it rebarreled elsewhere, and iron sights installed.
  • hadjiihadjii Member Posts: 976 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the offer tsr1965. I've also got a Sako 338 Win Mag. that I'm taking. I just hadn't decided which was going to be the back-up and which was going to the first up. I was going to make the call depending on the weather and terrain. The Ruger is light, stainless steel and meant to beat around, whereas the Sako is alot heavier with a nice wooden stock. The outfitter said to leave the pretty guns at home because they were going to get scarred up in the scabbard, which is why I was taking the Ruger. Worse case scenario is that the iron sights aren't an option, which isn't a game changer by any stretch, just could be an inconvenience.
  • MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We sell a boat load of Ruger's in the shop but ican tell you now the accuracy results are not good with the standard 77's ..I had one that I tried every possible ammunition available in .. went through break in procedures etc.. Didnt matter..
  • hadjiihadjii Member Posts: 976 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    MFI, that's not exactly the news I wanted to hear. LOL I'll figure something out. Heck, I'm married to this thing now. There's nothing to do but fix it somehow. I'm going to try it again today and see if I can figure out anything different.
  • asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IIRC, NECG makes a backup appeture sight that will mount on the Ruger rear scope position.

Found it.
    http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=9648/Product/RUGER_reg__RECEIVER_SIGHT
  • dft88dft88 Member Posts: 48 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got that sight. If you are interested.