In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Is It Worth Auctioning Early Ihaca 37 20 Ga?

steve.harrissteve.harris Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
edited September 2010 in Ask the Experts
I have a 1939 production Ithaca 37 in 20 gauge. It won't do it for the collector looking for pristine. It does look great and has a slick action. The bluing is pretty good. It was carried in the field. It has some freckling on the receiver. It has scratches in the finish on the buttstock. It's a 28" barrel, matching numbers. The screws are in great shape, not boogered up.

It seems the real bad things are a broken piece in the toe of the buttplate and a little sanded area on the pump. The toe piece missing on the buttplate is about 1/2" by 1/8" missing with no damage to buttplate. The wood grip on the pump has about a 1" by 1/2" scrape or ding that was sanded a bit.

The rest is great. I'm wondering if it is worth auctioning with this. I see a lot of unsold ones. I've had some local interest in trades and that might be better. I prefer military gun collector. They like banged up.

Steve

Comments

• nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just about any gun will sell on GB
    if the price is right.

However, I figure it takes me 3-4 hours to sell a single gun. That includes photographing it, listing it, processing the auction, packing it, going to the PO, etc. If I can't get at least $50, I will put it in the trash; so, that is my starting bid. Yours may vary; just decide if it is worth your time.

I do not sell locally unless a dealer is involved. If any subsequent owner misuses the gun, you don't want the police knocking on your door.

Neal
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    well, it depends on what you expect. a well used m-37 should go for $150/200
  • reddnekreddnek Member Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Steve where are you located ???????????
  • TWalkerTWalker Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I paid $250 for my used Ithaca 37 in 20 GA. It's one of my favorite shotguns. It handles and shoot great. I would think you could get that much for yours at auction, but I'd keep it; The 20's are getting hard to find and some of the ones I've seen have had asking prices in the $350-$400 range.
  • steve.harrissteve.harris Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by reddnek
    Steve where are you located ???????????

Sedalia, CO