In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1911 Colt Value

redfoxtooredfoxtoo Member Posts: 51 ✭✭
edited September 2010 in Ask the Experts
I have exceeded "the 10 reply" rule on this subject/pistol. Refer to the original.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    [:)] Hello, I have a 1911 Colt, serial number 527403. I would like to know the basic history. It has been in my family 85 years. Value?

Thank You...

This is a great site.....
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    EDITHello Larry sorry about using 2 of your 10,posts. First off I think your pistol is good enough to be of interest to a collector. It however is NOT a MUST HAVE by a advanced/Picky collector mainly because of the pits. With that said I don't think hardly any collectors on thus site ever even LOOK at reserve auctions . they & myself dont like to play games on items that have been listed for months on end if not for years. Because of some wild Pie in the sky reserve price I think you would be better served by starting it with a price you could live with "Your reserve." then if it does not get a bid you can either drop your price or not relist. This way you get the collectors to at least look at your auction and no one gets mad. . The pistol is certain worth $1000.00 and may bring much more then that but you will only know how much more if you get a large number of buyers to actually Look at your auction. If you put it up for sale come back here to this post and list auction number. Good Luck with your sale if you decide to go that way. Perry Shooter.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello glad to see your repost . If you are sure there is No letter P on the top chamber area of the barrel then this is Not the proper barrel But most.likely a Colt barrel from a later date. I also noted that on the last pictures I could see some very small but very deep pits around the trigger guard area This will really hurt the value . This leaves me to make the following statement IMHO without the pits a proper barrel would make a difference of $400.00 + but with the pits a Proper barrel would only add Maybe $200.00 . It might take a year or more to find a proper barrel and I don't think you could then find one for close to $200.00 . Therefore I would sell as is. With ALL THE PICTURES for good and bad points this way there will be no surprises on the Buyers Part. If it were My pistol and Had a family connection Then I for ONE would NOT EVER sell it. Once sold it can Never be replaced.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Karl,Thank you for your appraisal of my pistol. Thanks also to RUFE-SNOW and to SPIDER for helping this computer illiterate.
    Karl,If you were to sell this gun at auction what would you put the "reserved price" at or what price would you ask? Larry.
  • Options
    edharoldedharold Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would offer 1000 and let him work it up a little bit. If I bought it I would rub it down with a light oil and roll it in cotton in a dry place, I would clean up the holster as much as possible without wetting it or damaging it and store it away too. That gun will definitely go up in value.
    Or you could just discard it......my address is... [:)]