In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt Ace Service Model - correct magazine

coltnutzcoltnutz Member Posts: 206 ✭✭
edited September 2010 in Ask the Experts
Hello, I recently purchased a Colt Ace Service Model that was made in 1978. I would like to purchase another factory mag for a spare. I am trying to determine what the "correct factory mag" would be for this model Ace. The mag that came with the gun, that I hope is the original factory mag, has the following on the bottom of the mag (2 pins, not crimped and has an aluminum follower):

Colt
CAL.22 L.R.

Can anyone tell me if I have the correct factory mag for this era Colt Ace? If not, please describe the correct one. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Comments

• Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My colt conversion unit from the same era has a blued mag housing and a heavy black parkerized {?] base plate. It has the two pins and is stamped: "COLT" over "CAL.22LR". Bob
  • Options
    JudgeColtJudgeColt Member Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The early reintroduction Service Model Ace pistols (1978 vintage and maybe some in 1979) use the magazine you describe, which was the style used Post-War until the removable floorpate magazines were introduced about 1979 or 1980. Therefore, the magazine you have is the "correct factory mag" for your Service Model Ace.

Colt Conversion Unit and Service Model Ace magazines have had several changes of the years. As you might suspect, the older the magazine, the more it is worth, and the nicer it is. A Pre-War Service Model or Conversion Unit magazine is a work of art. They are gorgeous and "silky" in feel when loading, etc.. The Pre-War magazines have a polished blue steel floorplate with "Ace" (in a diamond) over "Service Model" stamped on the floorplate. These early magazines are "two-tone" because of the temperline. Next came an all-blue magazine with the same floorplate. Next came the came the all-blue magazine with the floorplate made out of alloy. Those magazines apparently were shipped with some of the early Post-War Conversion Units (the ones shipped in the Pre-War style black boxes). The next style of magazine was the one found in your pistol, which was used until about the late 1970s. Those magazines have a matte-finished alloy floorplate marked as you state, and an aluminum follower. The next style of magazine has a steel removable floorplate, stamped with a Rampant Colt and "Colt .22 Cal." or something similar (I am too lazy to go down to the vault room to check at this late hour). Those magazines have a black plastic follower. The next style is the same magazine, but without the Rampant Colt stamping on the floorplate. I do not believe any of that style were ever shipped in Service Model Ace pistols, and I used to believe they were never sold by Colt, but I have seen such magazines in Colt blister packaging so they were. I believe Colt still sells the latter as an accessory.

It is common to see magazines advertised as "magazine for a Colt Service Model Ace," which is not the same as a "Colt Service Model Ace magazine." Both statements can be absolutely true, but the former is not likely a genuine Colt magazine. Buyer beware.

You have the correct magazine for your pistol.