In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Browning Abolt Stalker III 30-06: Any Good?

MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
edited November 2015 in Ask the Experts
Local store has a NIB example on clearance for $399. Aside from the elcheapo plastic stock, are these any good? Is it the same barreled action as the other Abolts?

Comments

• Options
    MN HunterMN Hunter Member Posts: 2,299 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I won one last year at a ducks unlimited banquet and recently got rid of it. For me, I couldnt get reliable groups out past 100-150yds on a good day. Tried a variety of ammo all with the same results. (I can pick up my tikka same day on the range and shoot/hit exactly where I'm aiming every single time)

For $400 I would say it's a good deal, for the right application. Personall, I would not trust it on any of my excursions this coming year
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    MG1890,

I just worked on a couple of these in the last 3 months. I got rid of the stocks, replaced them with an excellent aftermarket Manners Composite stock and a McMillan. Both were bedded stress-free and then test fired.

Both shot 1/2"- 3/4" on average for the owners with a couple of small groups and one group that was slightly larger. The owners were pleased with both the consistency and the accuracy.

The $399.00 clearance price is worth a look even if you need to switch stocks, in my opinion.

Best.

MN Hunter,

I'm not one for universal condemnation of anything to do with mechanical systems since many need simple attention to correct small deficiencies.

In this situation the stock was the weak link and readily corrected with the better aftermarket stocks and proper bedding. I've even used the less expensive Bell and Carlson stocks with the aluminum bedding block with bedding to achieve better results without significant cost increase.

Shoe on the other foot, I have had to correct some of the factory Tikkas which would not perform for their owners for one of several reasons. Now, this is not to say that all Tikkas are failures, quite the contrary but it is to say that factory rifles are not necessarily fault free, no matter the manufacturer.

Best.
  • Options
    mondmond Member Posts: 6,458
    edited November -1
    I love my Browning A bolts .. 223/ 6.5x55 / 308 on the ball .