In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt Frontier Scout '62

fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,895 ✭✭✭
edited November 2015 in Ask the Experts
Anyone know what I can use on the frame to restore the finish. These aluminum frame models have a paint like finish on them. This one is not real bad but I'm thinking about it. It's the high gloss blue on the steel parts so the frame is shiny. Any suggestions? [:D]

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    IF your pistol has a K suffix IT HAS A POT METALframe [:(!]Not aluminum
  • Options
    fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,895 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It has a "P". Is that aluminum?

So I looked it up and it is not "pot metal".
    It is an alloy called Zamak which is Aluminum, zinc, magnesium and copper, and heavier than Aluminum. Learn something every day.[8D]
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    ZAMAC is POTMETAL many metals mixed together in a "POT"

I see Q/f/k/& P suffix P is aluminum. consider you very lucky you may be able to use Aluminum metal polish as found in auto parts store. o
  • Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,199 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry I can't help on your finish question but I have a "K" series Scout in Nickle and never knew it was "pot metal", it has held the Nickle very good, no flaking or wear showing, almost mint and I'm a shooter [:)].....I've been happy with it for many years [;)]

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's likely that the finish on your frame is anodized aluminum, but Colt never felt the need to tell customers proprietary information.

I believe that anything that you do to the finish will ruin it. Since it's not real bad, I suggest that you just live with it.

Neal
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sharpie marker black from a wide tip.
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    More detail regarding the frames of these neat little revolvers taken from Don Wilkerson's book about them:

Q/F Frames: A sample taken from one of these frames matched Aluminum Alloy 518, i.e. 92% aluminum and 8% magnesium which proves to be an excellent choice in firearms manufacture.

K & P Frames: A sample taken from this frame matched Alloy AG40A - trade name for Zamac 3. It is made from high grade zinc and aluminum.

G Series Frame: Casehardened steel frame, with "grip frame continued to be molded from a lighter weight alloy."
    What's next?
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Henry makes it 22LR from this.

Many cheap firearms manufacturers use/used it. Jennings, Raven, Phoenix, etc.