In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Butt Kicking Shotgun

bigbill0910bigbill0910 Member Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2015 in Ask the Experts
I shoot a lot and love to shoot old recoil barrel shotguns. Yesterday I was shooting a very nice looking Model 11 Remington 16 ga. That shotgun kicked my teeth in! I switched the rings and not much difference. My shells were a little hot (1300fps) but that is the same on plenty of shells I have used.
I have heard about the pad in the hump of these guns wearing out. Could this be a reason for the heavy recoil? It is in a ton better shape than any of my other Model 11's so I thought it was probably OK
Thanks Bill

Comments

• Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The recoil cushion in the receiver is hard like a brake shoe. Actually resembles the fiber material brake shoes are made of. I can't see it, badly mushroomed or not, having any influence on felt recoil. You can readily view the cushion by removing the butt and trigger plate. Please make sure you use a proper screwdriver so's not to molest the screws.

I've never understood the objections others have for the Rem. 11 or A5 recoil. I have several (9) Model 11's all in 12 gauge as well as a 16 gauge A5 and don't find the recoil as bad as my Marlin 120 Magnum with the 2 3/4" cartridges I reload.

Something you might look at is the oil you're using and how much you leave on the magazine tube. The new, slicker, wonder lubes and or to much lube may allow the barrel to recoil more rapidly than it was designed for.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Makes sense, I saw someone on here say "Oil the friction rings and you will only have rings". I will really dry the tube off and try again. Thanks
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Set up the rings correctly for load level and keep tube and friction rings dry or you will be splitting forends.
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1300 fps does seem a little hot for an older gun. I've shot a ton of those for sporting clays and they (especially Remingtons) do seem to be a little stout. Make sure the gun is tight on your shoulder so it doesn't get any unnecessary speed.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I cleaned the mag. tube pretty dry and shot the ole boy again this afternoon, I believe that was the secret! I shoot an A-5 pretty much and these Model 11's once in a while and didn't think I had oiled too much till this one. Thank you all and I really regard it a pleasure to get sensible answers so easily from such experienced shooters.
    Thanks, Bill
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You folks know a lot! While we're on the subject, What do you think I could do to keep my wife from kicking so hard?
  • Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bigbill0910
    You folks know a lot! While we're on the subject, What do you think I could do to keep my wife from kicking so hard?

Not a comment on the wife unit, just an answer to the question.
    http://www.cowboyshowcase.com/piggin-string.html#.VkJMGM6FNO0

I've used one, but never on a woman.
  • Options
    woodhogwoodhog Member Posts: 13,115 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    same as the shotgun, make sure she's lubed 'just right'