In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

walther ppq

combatinccombatinc Member Posts: 77 ✭✭
edited November 2015 in Ask the Experts
any feed back on the walther ppq mod2 9mm

Comments

• Options
    combatinccombatinc Member Posts: 77 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Anyone have any info on how the new Walther PPQ pistol is turning out? Are they proving to be a good weapon?
  • Options
    Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My favorite plastic pistol and we shoot and sell them all. My personal PPQ has over 4000 rounds and I started shooting it straight out of the box and have not ever cleaned it. Absolutely the best trigger of any plastic gun out there and the ergonomics are great. Shoot one and you will buy one. Good luck, Ricci.
  • Options
    lpaalplpaalp Member Posts: 947 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What he said ^^^ exactly - except I clean mine. Can't say too much for it.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm holding off on my final opinion......

I borrowed one last week. It had about 200 rounds through it. Using Fiocci ammo, it occasionally jammed (slide stopped a few hundredths out of battery), and slide occasionally failed to stay open on the last shot. Owner had stripped & cleaned before firing it. He is taking it back to the Full Service Dealer who sold it to him to see if they can figure out the problem.

I liked the light recoil, low bore, & comfortable grips. Sadly, as with other striker-fired guns, I still couldn't hit the target in the center.

Neal
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I'll stick with my P-99ught in '99.
    It's had over 5,000rds through it in IDPA matches [;)]
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like my "classic" p99 with the decocker, though obviously, its not quite the same gun as this. Still, if I were looking for a compact polymer gun with Glock-like "one pull" action, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of these.

Size and weight are similar to Glock 19, but IMO ergonomics are better. Disadvantages are higher costs of parts and accessories and less of a variety to pick from (if you need such things. . .I don't).

I won't go into a detailed review of my gun, since its not the same, but I will say its run 100% with proper ammo (115 - 147 grain regular and +P, ball and hollowpoint). One time I had some unreliability with underpowered bargain "target" 9mm ammo. . .that was for sure ammo's fault, not guns. One of my mags doesn't reliably lock back the slide when empty. Other mags do. . .so that's mags fault, not guns. But no other issues or problems whatever.

Its a cleverly designed gun. . .supposedly some of the same engineers that designed Glocks' pistol were on the team that designed the original Walther P99.
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most European quality 9mm pistols are designed to fire a bit more powerful load than is the norm here. The NATO standard load should run with complete reliability. My personal favorite is the Springfield XD, but this is why there are Fords and Chevys, right? Find the one you like best and practice, practice, practice with it.
  • Options
    B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    PPQ's run a lot cleaner than other autos that appear to be the same to the eye. the piston system is way better in that regard. We sell quite a few at the shop and have never had a complaint.
  • Options
    Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    B17-P51: I think you must be referring to the Walther CCP which does use a piston whereas the PPQ does not.
  • Options
    B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ricci Wright
    B17-P51: I think you must be referring to the Walther CCP which does use a piston whereas the PPQ does not.

Thank you! You are correct.