In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester 88

scooterdriverscooterdriver Member Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2015 in Ask the Experts
POST 64...what cal. is hardest to find...anyone know how many made in each?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Hi..does anyone know where i can get a picture showing the difference in a winchester model 88 clover leaf tang an non clover leaf..Thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have come into the possession of a Winchester 88 in .284.

I am going to add a scope using a Weaver #53 base [think that is correct].

I need some advise on the scope size, ie. power - 2x7, 3x9.

Thoughts?

Thanks for the help
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Distant relative just passed (98 yo...good life) and I can get his long unused rifle as long as, "I'll use it". I can't just take it...I have to plan to hunt (deer, elk) with it. Chambered in 308. Anyone hunt with one of these? Thanks.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hi
    You so-called EXPERTS sure are a bunch of sore losers ! I don't mind being called a smart * from your kind. I'm glad I don't have to associate with you in public.
    Bawl Babies !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Grow up people !!! Throw your books away, they will get you in trouble if you don't know how to read them.. LOL LOL LOL
    If you need any help with the 88, just ask.
    I thought you cave men hibernated in the winter ?

Robert V. Reyan
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Will Winchester 88 stocks interchange, such as a .358 and a .308? Are the stocks serial numbered like a Savage 99? Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Where can i find a exploded view of a winchester 88...i want to take it apart to clean it but i can't find any pictures of the parts inside...i don't want to purchase anything
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It will work. Make sure the firing pin recall has been fixed.

http://www.leeroysramblings.com/Gun Articles/winchester_model_88_100_info.html

added Yep all my steel kids get range time. I have ones from dad and his brothers. I have a few given a of mine to the niece and nephews. I even have a few bullet molds from gramps and he passed before the great depression.

I did a lot of shooting with a Rem 700 BDL in 308. It's not a 06 but game can only get so dead and a clean miss is ineffective magnum or not.

Thanks Burt. It was a long time ago that I read the warning from I think Winchester not to shoot the 100 and 88. I sure can't really find any conformation.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Charlie. Searching the old forums, seems like the usual mix of fans and not so fans. I much prefer to own items with history...makes each hunt...or day at the range...that much more enjoyable. Only wish I'd sat with him and let him reminisce the hunts of his youth.

I'll check on the recall...and as long as it groups OK, take it with me on my next outing.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    The Model 88 is thought of highly by the people that own them some even collect all the different calibers . also most likely this will stand as the last model LEVER rifle Winchester ever produced.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Member Posts: 8,471
    edited November -1
    [/quotDistant relative just passed (98 yo...good life) and I can get his long unused rifle as long as, "I'll use it". I can't just take it...I have to plan to hunt (deer, elk) with it. Chambered in 308. Anyone hunt with one of these? Thanks.e]

That's my go to gun!! I've used it for deer and have taken several Elk with it. Mine is a tack driver 3 shots touching at 100 yards.
    I changed guns and the wife took over the 88 and collected a couple of Elk with it.
  • Options
    BT99BT99 Member Posts: 1,043
    edited November -1
    I have 11 of them. They will all go to the grandson when he comes
    to see me Christmas. Maybe they will pay for a semester of college in about 5 years.
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,173 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was under the impression that the firing pin recall was for the 100. I didn't think the 88 was part of that.

I was never a fan of the 88. I owned one several times (a fellow I worked with always needed money around Christmas so I'd buy his rifle and sell it back to him in October. There was never any profit involved so I guess I was a pretty good pawn shop.)
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The has never been a recall for the Model 88, but there was for the Model 100.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Charlie,

Here is the exact recall notice;

WINCHESTER MODEL 100 FIRING PIN RECALL - A notice dated 7-1990 relates the following "PRODUCT SAFETY WARNING AND REPLACEMENT NOTICE.

Attention owners of Winchester model 100 rifles and carbines please read this notice. In July of 1990 the following product safety warning was issued by Winchester. It has come to our attention that the firing pin in the Winchester Model 100 Rifle or Carbine may break due to use and metal fatigue and become lodged in the breech bolt face. If this occurs, the firearm may fire before the action is locked causing severe damage to the firearm and possibly injury or death to the shooter and bystander.

WARNING DO NOT SHOOT YOUR WINCHESTER MODEL 100 RIFLE OR CARBINE.

Repair and replacement. A new firing pin has been designed to replace the firing pin originally made for the Winchester Model 100 Rifle and Carbine. The new firing pins will be available in April 1991. If you own a Winchester Model 100 Rifle or Carbine, please send your firearm to one of the authorized Winchester Model 100 Firing Pin Replacement Centers indicated below.

Your Winchester Model 100 firearm will be inspected, the firing pin replaced and tested and the firearm returned to you. The inspection, replacement/testing and return postage will be accomplished at no cost to you. If other repair or maintenance work is authorized by you to be performed on the firearm when the firing pin is replaced, such work shall be
    at your cost."

W. R. Long Gunsmiths
    2007 Brook Road North
    Cobourg, Ontario K9A4W4
    Canada

Frank LeFever & Sons
    RD 2 Box 31
    Lee Center, NY 13363
    USA

Bolsa Gunsmithing
    7404 Bolsa Avenue
    Westminister, CA 92683
    USA

Nu Line Guns
    1053 Caulks Hill Road
    Harvester, MO 63303
    USA

If you have any questions concerning this notice, call Winchester Product Service 1-800-852-5734 or write to Winchester Firing Pin replacement Notice, PO Box 10 Cottage Hills Illinois 62018 Attention Product Service Dept.
    end quote
  • Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a new in the box 88 that I hope to make a good trade with some day.
  • Options
    Old hickoryOld hickory Member Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have owned a nice first year 88 7xxx. It shoots better than some bolt actions I've owned, although not as accurate as a Remington 700. Mine is .308 and has about as much oomph as a 30'06. It will handle any lower 48 game when used by a competent hunter!