In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Thompson M1A SBR

sdfergusonsdferguson Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited November 2015 in Ask the Experts
I had a gunsmith change the barrel on my Thompson M1A to make it a SBR and they damaged the rifle, resulting is the receiver needing to be re-blued and the gripmount replaced. Can you tell me roughly what this has done to reduce the value of the rifle? Thanks for the help

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Changing the barrel makes it less than a 100% original rifle and negatively affects value. A legal SBR adds value back I would think. Did they do good job on the bluing? Does the rifle shoot good and function well?
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is what original looked like. They have both the original, and the SBR listed in the Blue Book. Currently available from Kahr Arms.

My WAG is if the gunsmith messed it up so bad? Your probably looking at a $500 hit in value. It would depend a lot on the quality of the work, done to repair the damage? If it's done well enough that the rebluing and repairs aren't apparent? It's resale value would be in line with the SBR's that Kahr sells.

49838.jpg
  • Options
    sdfergusonsdferguson Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The original rifle is what's pictured. I had the 10.5" barrel added and legally registered it as a SBR.. They did a decent job repairing it, but the original grip mount had to be replaced. It functions fine as far as I can tell. As was replied, I believe changing it to a legal SBR should increase its value despite the original barrel being changed. My concern is the receiver will fade differently since a portion of it has been re-blued, as well as the loss of value. The weapon was New In Box when I had the work done. Safe to say the value of the gun lost around $500 with such damage?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sdferguson
    The original rifle is what's pictured. I had the 10.5" barrel added and legally registered it as a SBR.. They did a decent job repairing it, but the original grip mount had to be replaced. It functions fine as far as I can tell. As was replied, I believe changing it to a legal SBR should increase its value despite the original barrel being changed. My concern is the receiver will fade differently since a portion of it has been re-blued, as well as the loss of value. The weapon was New In Box when I had the work done. Safe to say the value of the gun lost around $500 with such damage?

I'm not that familiar with the value's of SBR's? As their is licensing required from the feds. They are not easily sold, as a conventional rifle or shotgun.

I would check the Kahr's Arms web site, to see what the new ones are selling for? If the one you have. Shows deficiencies in finish, or has obviously been repaired? It would negatively affect the value. How much I couldn't say. I know that when I'm looking at military rifle or shotgun. If it isn't factory original, or has been bubbaed. I won't buy it.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

It seems to me you won't know your "damages" unless or until it is sold and depending upon how you sell it. Further, if you agreed to have part of the receiver reblued rather than the whole receiver it seems difficult to hold them accountable if the receiver ages differently. At this point you don't know if that will happen.

Regarding "how you sell it" - if you sell it directly to another person you'd get more than if you sell it to a gun store. Should the guys who worked on the gun pony out more $$$ if you choose to sell to a dealer rather than a retail buyer?

Until you sell it and compare that price to the price of others I don't think you can know what hit, if any, you take. And again, how you sell it would have an impact too.

On the other hand .....

If you can establish that a properly done Thompson SBR would be worth $2,000.00 and that your improperly done version is worth $1,500.00 - maybe that's something to go on. In similar fashion as a reblued, drilled & tapped older gun would be worth less.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dfletcher

It seems to me you won't know your "damages" unless or until it is sold and depending upon how you sell it. Further, if you agreed to have part of the receiver reblued rather than the whole receiver it seems difficult to hold them accountable if the receiver ages differently. At this point you don't know if that will happen.

Regarding "how you sell it" - if you sell it directly to another person you'd get more than if you sell it to a gun store. Should the guys who worked on the gun pony out more $$$ if you choose to sell to a dealer rather than a retail buyer?

Until you sell it and compare that price to the price of others I don't think you can know what hit, if any, you take. And again, how you sell it would have an impact too.

I might be wrong on this. But I believe this is the problem. Once a rifle has had it barrel cut down, to less than 16". And has the SBR licensing from the feds. The only way it can be easily sold. Is to a Class 3 dealer. Any other privet party or FFL dealer. Has to acquire a new SBR license, from the feds before the rifle can change hands. Because of this hassle of actually applying and waiting to get the SBR license, before the rifle can be transferred. Not easy to sell, unless you are willing to get low balled by a Class 3 dealer.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    An SBR is classified as an AOW (any other weapon). While an ATF approval & tax stamp are required for transfer, it is not difficult.

sdferguson, you actually will take a double hit if & when you sell your Thompson. First, since Kahr actually sells an SBR Thompson, a standard length rifle that has an aftermarket alteration to SBR will always be worth less, regardless of the quality of the work. Second, the damage & repair done by your gunsmith further reduces the resale value of your rifle, unless it is undetectable.

dfletcher is right; how much the value of your rifle has been reduced will only be learned when you try to sell it.

Neal

EDIT: M1A762 is correct, I was reading from the wrong section. To transfer an SBR, you don't have to use an FFL, but the buyer has to go through the ATF Form 4 procedure ($200 tax, application, photos, prints, etc). See ATF 5300.4 Q&A M14.
  • Options
    M1A762M1A762 Member Posts: 3,426
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nmyers
    An SBR is classified as an AOW (any other weapon). While an ATF approval & tax stamp are required for transfer, it is not difficult.

sdferguson, you actually will take a double hit if & when you sell your Thompson. First, since Kahr actually sells an SBR Thompson, a standard length rifle that has an aftermarket alteration to SBR will always be worth less, regardless of the quality of the work. Second, the damage & repair done by your gunsmith further reduces the resale value of your rifle, unless it is undetectable.

dfletcher is right; how much the value of your rifle has been reduced will only be learned when you try to sell it.

Neal

Neal you are wrong about an SBR being classified as an AOW. The tax for an SBR is $200.oo not the $5.00 tax of an AOW.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The rules are screwy. You can get a pistol gripped 12" barrel "870" Witness protection shotgun as any AOW. The actions were bought from Remington having never been assembled as a shotgun, so they aren't sawed off.