In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

AR 10 build

chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,912 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2015 in Ask the Experts
I have been considering building an AR 10 from a stripped receiver.
As a VET, I am over familiarized with the all M16, AR 15, and M4 variants.

I realize there are similarities between the 15 and the 10, but I understand there are differences in tolerances between the receivers.

Some manufacturers receivers will not work with other uppers etc. Which receiver would you recommend I start with. I would like one that has the most options as far as interchangeability. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You basically have two platforms Armalite and everybody else. I prefer the Armalite but that is my opinion because I started assembling mine when they were the only ones doing so in 308. Since then everyone else has jumped on board and that is probably the way to go in your case. Your best bet is to probably go with DPMS or one similar. As far as parts interchangeability goes AR15 and AR10 lower receiver parts interchange along with butt stocks. The receivers themeselves and barrels and barrel parts do not interchange. Another thing is the mag differences between the two. Armalite mags will only fit Armalites and are harder to find and more expensive. Also if you plan on building a Rock River AR10 they do not recommend using other manufacturers parts on their rifles. Back to the DPMS that variant probably offers more options then Armalite as far as commonality and price goes. That's not to say that you can't build a similar rifle in an Armalite version it is just you'll have to do a little more searching and it will cost you more. Also there are other brands out there but not knowing if you want to do this economically or a no holds barred build I can't go much further at this time. I'm sure others will be along shortly to comment.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    chiefr,

I know that you state your familiarity with AR's but the .308 versions are different in a bunch of small ways. They also require specific tools in order to build them properly.

Here is a decent synopsis of comparisons:

http://308ar.com/category/compatibility/

http://308ar.com/compatibility/

At the bottom of the page there is a list of suppliers for parts and partial builds.

I prefer 'matched' uppers and lowers from a couple of manufacturers. Yes they are more expensive but they are truly matched by the manufacturer. Besides, if you ever decide to sell your creation it will be less of a Frankenstein than many others. Seekins, Defiance and a handful of others make a good selection of these parts.

Currently we're using Seekins parts and Bartlein barrels which we machine in-house. The barrel is the real truth to accuracy as long as the rest of the assembly is managed properly. You can choose the tight bore .299/.308 or the standard bore .300/.308 and accuracy remains unchanged. Function on the other hand will change. That's where an adjustable gas block saves money. You might also have to modify the gas port as well but that will come with function testing.

If you think you might use a suppressor at some point in time, I definitely recommend the Seekins adjustable gas block. Do not even attempt to consider any other variation as we have proofed all of them.

We gave up on DPMS a few years ago, not worth the effort in my opinion, at least for multiple builds but maybe not for just one. We do use the ArmaLite BCGs and barrel extensions. BAT Machine makes a beautiful extension but it's pricey...

Anyway, buy a book, get the right tools and start selecting your parts. It's a fun process but it can be frustrating if you don't get yourself prepared first.

Best.

ADDED:

I neglected to mention that if you have a gunsmith chamber your barrel that you should request the use of a .308 AR 'Auto' chamber reamer. This reamer will cut a slightly roomer chamber for your cartridge and you may want to secure a set of small base dies.

Brownells is having a huge sale of AR parts until 11:59PM tonight.

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Nononsense and Armilite
    So what I am picking up is there are TWO different platforms as Armalite and DPMS.

I will try to keep it simple by sticking with uppers and lowers. Armalite lowers will only work with Armalite uppers.
    DPMS and All others work with DPMS and DPMS equivalents.
    let me know if something is missing.

I have always been impressed with the AR 15 because of the modularity. There is variances based on the size of the cartridge head with uppers their BCGs, but I can use the same lower on a 6.8 SPC, 223, and 300AAC.

I do reload and understand SB Die with Autos. Thanks greatly for your expertise.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by chiefr
    Nononsense and Armilite
    So what I am picking up is there are TWO different platforms as Armalite and DPMS.

I will try to keep it simple by sticking with uppers and lowers. Armalite lowers will only work with Armalite uppers.
    DPMS and All others work with DPMS and DPMS equivalents.
    let me know if something is missing.

I have always been impressed with the AR 15 because of the modularity. There is variances based on the size of the cartridge head with uppers their BCGs, but I can use the same lower on a 6.8 SPC, 223, and 300AAC.

I do reload and understand SB Die with Autos. Thanks greatly for your expertise.

Well to be exact there are a couple of companies that are Armalite compatible but for most its to much of a headache.

I would say you are correct that DPMS AND MOST OTHER LOWERS and UPPERS are compatible. Again its that Rock River thing and at one time maybe they still do used a different proprietary magazine.

With an AR10 build project try and get as many parts from the same company that you can.

As also noted some of the tools needed to build an AR10 are different then the AR10. Unless you plan on building a few you might want to consider just buying a complete upper and a complete lower. Tools will probably set you back at least a $100.

Most companies websites will basically allow you to assembly an upper barrel configuration that suits your particular needs. I've assembled a bunch of these and have all the tools required but still use these websites to some extent.

Another thing to consider is that AR10 type lower manufacturers and there are not as many, don't offer steep discounts on lowers like on AR15's. Your cost will be considerably more to build the AR10 then the AR15
  • Options
    dunbarboyzdunbarboyz Member Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you everyone I learned alot.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I received a flier from PSA and they had some great deals on AR 10 lowers and uppers. From what I can tell the PSA lowers are compatible with the LR 308 and Armalites.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by chiefr
    I received a flier from PSA and they had some great deals on AR 10 lowers and uppers. From what I can tell the PSA lowers are compatible with the LR 308 and Armalites.

That is not correct they are not compatible especially the Armalite's.

The one and only exception would be if they made 2 different lower receivers. I'll check out their website.

quote:Palmetto State Armory is proud to announce our new .308 stripped lower receiver.
    Made using the most advanced aerospace manufacturing technology to produce the industry's finest forged .308 lowers, our receivers are machined on an automated multi-million dollar manufacturing system which enables us to produce a product of unequaled quality and value.
    These forged lowers are quality made using 7075-T6 aluminum. The finish is black hardcoat anodize per MIL-8625 Type 3 Class 2. Additionally the receivers include an integrated trigger guard, and are designed to use AR15 fire control groups so your favorite AR class trigger can be used. These are developed for use with SR-25 pattern magazines - which are commonly available in metal or polymer.

This is right from their website their lowers are SR25 compatible that means DPMS. There is no mention of Armalite or Rock River.
    Again as stated on their website they do not recommend mixing other manufacturers parts with theirs. Now to help you understand and this is very confusing the AR 10 was designed by Eugene Stoner of the original Armalite Corp. of Costa Mesa Ca. In 1990 Stoner went to work for Knights Armament Co. manufacturers of high end end AR10's. The confusing part is that while he designed the original AR 10 the magazine from that rifle was used in the SR 25 and does not fit the current model of Armalite AR10. Stoners magazine design is what DPMS use's in their rifle. The other tell tale difference is that the receiver of the DPMS rifle is curved along the back bottom up towards the receiver pin. The bottom of the Armalite in that same area is on a straight line towards the receiver pin.
    They use different bolt carriers and barrel extensions, so this can really gum things up if you try to interchange the two.
  • Options
    pawnee66pawnee66 Member Posts: 223 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Chief
    Check out Mega Arms MATEN. Quality.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    From what I gather, it is best to stick with buying a complete upper rather than assemble from parts. Thanks for the inputs, Armilite and all.