In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester 52B and Unertl scope

jelwyomingjelwyoming Member Posts: 35 ✭✭
edited November 2015 in Ask the Experts
I just inherited a very nice Winchester 52B target 22LR rifle with a an Unertl scope marked 462. I am also a gunsmith/appraiser, so my interest in this is pretty keen. The serial number indicates that it was made in '48-49. I am trying to find information on variations of that model rifle as well as any information on the scope. The rifle barrel is about 1" at the receiver and .710" at the muzzle. Target stock that my grandpa did some inlay work on. It has a right hand side safety rather than the rear slide that I think came out about that time. The scope is cloudy with moisture. I was thinking that at that time there was no nitrogen fill in them, so that it might be safe to open and dry it. Any ideas there? The receiver is round except the back 1.5" or so which is flat on the top. The bolt looks like the handle was factory cut to accept the long scope. What else should I look for? I ended up with it's big brother in a model 70 30-06 made in '47, a transitional model.[:)]

Comments

• Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    I'll suggest you find a copy of the book "The Winchester model 52, perfection in desgn" by Herbert G. Houze. As to the safty, this came out with the 'improved trigger' that the 'B' used. All 52 bolt handels would work with the target scopes of the day with out modification. The scope should be sent in to one of the companys that refurbish used scopes. Any modification to the rifle or stock will reduce its value.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for that information. I will check it out. One more thing, this model has a forward sling swivel as well as a target rest post. What was that post used with?
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I dont know what you call a target rest post but in shooting a 22 target rifle in that time period OFF HAND STANDING they made what I think you are talking about Double click my user name and send me a personal email and I will send picture
  • Options
    HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What you are referring to as a target rest post may be the bakelite handstop that was attached into one of a row of holes that were in a metal strip which was inletted into the fore end. The hand stop was behind a sling swivel The proper installation of the sling into the hand stop and swivel was as follows. Insert the sling through the handstop bow from the rear then through the sling swivel. Double it back through the hand stop bow and adjust as formal for position shooting.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Photos always make it a lot easier to identify guns & scopes.

Unertl made many scope models through the years. Their pre-war scopes were not sealed, but I don't know at what point they started making sealed scopes. They went out of business in 2008. Even if yours is sealed, the seals are likely cracked. Rubber seals are now replaced with neoprene, & inert gases like argon are used. Here's our list of scope repair technicians:

" Scope Repair
    (Updated 12/17/2014)

Iron Sight, Inc.
    4814 S ELWOOD AVE
    Tulsa, OK 74107
    Phone1 : 918 . 445 . 2001
    Phone2 : 918 .521 . 7736
    http://www.ironsightinc.com/

ABO(USA) Inc
    14041 SW 139th Ct
    305-860-4858
    http://abousainc.com/

Dan Stangerone
    104 Pollywiggle Ln
    Pleasantville, NY 10570
    ds1911@verizon.net

Dan submitted the following: "I stick to replacing crosshair wires on ONLY Unertl & Lyman & * external adjustment scopes and the Weaver 330 and M73B1 sniper scopes as well. No cleaning or other repairs. Turnaround time is immediate, as I usually get the scopes fixed and back in the next day's mail. No 6 or 8 month wait...Price for crosshair wire replacement is $85 and I'll pay return shipping. For Do It Yourselfer's, I also sell the best crosshair wire money can buy for about 20 years now. Its annealed Tungsten, is very strong & shows up Jet Black when installed. I have two diameters to choose from. Medium (.0015") and Fine (.0005"). Price is $15 per 10 foot length of either wire. I'll pay return shipping to anywhere in the lower 48. USA sales ONLY, please. US Postal Money Orders ONLY, please.
    Please communicate by email."
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know when John Unertl began marking his scopes, but if it was at the beginning of his business, the scope might well date back to the 30s.
    What's next?
  • Options
    DokeyDokey Member Posts: 941 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like the barrel is a standard weight. Best place to look and post would be the Winchester 52 Sub-Forum on Rimfire Central and pics would be a plus
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jelwyoming
    I just inherited a very nice Winchester 52B target 22LR rifle with a an Unertl scope marked 462. I am also a gunsmith/appraiser, so my interest in this is pretty keen. The serial number indicates that it was made in '48-49. I am trying to find information on variations of that model rifle as well as any information on the scope. The rifle barrel is about 1" at the receiver and .710" at the muzzle. Target stock that my grandpa did some inlay work on. It has a right hand side safety rather than the rear slide that I think came out about that time. The scope is cloudy with moisture. I was thinking that at that time there was no nitrogen fill in them, so that it might be safe to open and dry it. Any ideas there? The receiver is round except the back 1.5" or so which is flat on the top. The bolt looks like the handle was factory cut to accept the long scope. What else should I look for? I ended up with it's big brother in a model 70 30-06 made in '47, a transitional model.[:)]

I know my limitations, but I don't know yours. Fiddling with an older scope is delicate work. I've taken a few apart and cleaned front & rear lenses inside & out. So long as you're very careful it's not particularly difficult. Keep in mind the reticle is at the very rear of the scope body and is easy to miss and damage. Any dirt, hair or "QTip fuzz" left on the rear lends or reticle will be very visible. Also, when cleaning the lenses you have to get them a) crystal clear and b) bone dry.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The scope is actually stamped J. Unertl 462.
    Putting together what each of you has commented on the rest post (as I called it) makes sense. It is just behind the sling swivel band at the very for front.
    The serial no. is suffixed with a B which I understood to be a heavy barrel model. No?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am doing some careful degreasing of it now and will post some pictures as soon as I get it back together.