In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Value of Remington 725 in .222

TWalkerTWalker Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2015 in Ask the Experts
What do you think the real world value is on a 92% Remington 725 in 222 caliber? I've checked book values but their prices often aren't accurate. I am considering purchasing this gun. I own 721's in 30-06 and 300 H&H, a 722 in 244 Remington. I was thinking the 222 would be a nice addition to these vintage Remingtons. Thanks for any replies.

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://www.remington.com/products/archived/centerfire/bolt-action/model-725.aspx

Must be rare and collectable. 1959

google found one for sale with a scope and 11 boxes of ammo for $900 about 2 years ago. Hard to tell its condition from their crappy pic's but better than 80% as a WAG.

added. I have a 722 in 222. It was well used when dad brought home. All through high school I shot perhaps 300 rounds a week of cast bullets. I bought all the cheap open boxes of jacketed bullets off gunshow tables and shot them too. I shot perhaps a dozen birds out of the air with that rifle.

A few years ago I put a good scope on it. At 350 yards off a picnic table using my pack for a rest I could get the jacketed bullets to strike just left or right of the cross hair (needs a half click). Clay birds were toast sitting on the bank.

I have one of those jacketed bullet makers that use spent 22 rimfire brass for the jacket. I'm going to see how they do this spring.

I think the 222 is a better cartridge design with the longer neck than the 223. Someday I may punch my out to 222 Mag to get a fresher throat when it starts shooting poorly.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Charlie has made a good point, vis a vis the 725. "The History of Remington Firearms", by Roy Marcot. Has a section on them. He notes that they were only made for 4 years. Production ended in December of 1961. Total production of 16,635.

If yours is factory original? It's value to a Remington collector, might be over and above that, of a run of the mill .222 varmint rifle?