In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

38-55 Cowboy Loads in Remington #1 Rolling Block

rigelb79rigelb79 Member Posts: 111 ✭✭
edited December 2015 in Ask the Experts
I just picked up a Remington Rolling Block #1 (black powder) receiver in excellent condition and was thinking of having it barreled in 38-55. Thoughts on shooting cowboy action loads(smokeless) in the old receiver? Velocity is around 1250fps vs. Winchesters current load of 1350fps.

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think it would work ok. I be a lot happier with a 7mm Mauser re-worked receiver if wanted to shoot full power loads.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remington_Rolling_Block_rifle

I have seen 2 45-70 rolling blocks in pieces. Barrels split, the receiver ring on one split. Neither one failed on the block or hammer and the associated pins.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 for Charlie. #1's were made of cast/wrought iron. #5's were steel.

Years back their was a article. In one of the gun publications detailing the various accidents, that had occurred when #1's had failed. Mostly with smokeless loads.

At the time this amazed me. As I had been shooting, the old R-B's for years. Never had a clue, about what kind iron they were made of. Kind of made me nervous. Considering some of the duplex loads, I had been shooting in them.
  • chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,718 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have been shooting original black powder cartridge rifles for a long time to include several rollers.
    Here is my opinion: If the rifle was designed for black powder, stick with it.
    If one does not like having to deal with cleaning black powder residue from a bore or an action, best seek out some of the many replicas available.
  • rigelb79rigelb79 Member Posts: 111 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Think I'll sell it and put the money towards a #5.

Thanks!
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No5?
    The 1 1/2 Action is properly sized for the 38-55 per the NRA.