In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Golden State Arm .45

cwo4commcwo4comm Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
edited December 2015 in Ask the Experts
Picked up a Golden State Arms ,45 cal Knock off of the COLT 1911
maybe put together gun from military parts (???)
Marking: Golden State Arms, Pasadena,CA
2 R over small s 783 8.
what is the meaning of "FS/FT"

Anyone with a serial number date base??
Any info most welcome.

This is an early 1940's company that sold all kind of WW II guns
This one is a high quality 1911.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Golden State Arms, was in business. Between the early 1950's and 1966, when they went belly up.

They imported, rebuilt, reworked, primarily, various military rifles into sporters/deer rifles. Also imported many surplus handguns of various types. What you describe could have been a 1911 clone from Spain, Argentina, Norway etc. That they rebuilt with surplus parts.

Never run across any 1911's with their name on it. Need quality photos, and at least a partial serial number.For identification and valuation purposes.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    the one line is
    2 R over small s 783 8. FS FT
    It is stamped
    Golden State Arms .45 Cal Santa Fe
    regards
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cwo4comm
    the one line is
    2 R over small s 783 8. FS FT
    It is stamped
    Golden State Arms .45 Cal Santa Fe
    regards

The markings don't ring a bell with me? Probably with photos, it would be more identifiable?

"Santa Fe Arms" was the name Golden State used on the military guns, they sporterized for commercial sale. As I noted previously all of the "Santa Fe Arms" guns, that I have run into over the years have been rifles. Golden State Arms, sold many military surplus handguns. Don't recall seeing any, with "Santa Fe Arms" markings?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Got this off the net. I don't know specific date? Probably late 50's, early 60's? Hard to believe the prices, until you remember. The ad is well over 50 years old.

doc143.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks for info, most helpful. Cant beat the prices.
    I remember when you could order enfield .303 for $8.88 FOB out of the windy city. circa 1956
    I will attempt to post pictures as soon as get equipment.
    You confirmed my line of thinking on it as being from parts etc...
    regards
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Went to their going out of business sale. No deals, the people bid all the guns over the regular prices. The prices in those ads seem higher than I recall. I remember Mosins for $5 & barrels of rolling blocks for $9.99. However the $39.95 for the Colt .45 is lower than I can remember except for the DCM pistols but you could get Mauser Broomhandles, Lugers, P-38s & Browning Hi-Powers for that.
  • Options
    machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    I bought one of those .45's, from Golden State. It came through marked 'Santa Fe' on the frame, with an unmarked slide. It turned out to be a G.I. 45 that had been cut in half and welded back together, with the original markings ground off. The frame cracked in half after a few thousand rounds.

When I looked at the ad that I had bought it from, I noticed that it said '45 Colt Automatics' and not 'Colt 45 Automatics', and in retrospect I had to fault myself for missing that.