In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Cabelas Winchester model 64

wolfpackwolfpack Member Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2015 in Ask the Experts
Had only seen these on the Cabela's website until this weekend. A Cabela's only reproduction from the Miroku plant. Fit, finish were excellent and the bluing was deep and polished. Wood was a very good grade of Walnut. Action is extremely smooth. The only real detraction was the tang safety. The only other thing was the price, 999.99 marked down from a ridicuous 1699.99. Actually considering one. Anyone else look at these and have an opinion?

Comments

• Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    not on this particular rifle, but the 'Jap' reproductions are generaly better finished than the originals and shoot well.
  • Options
    oldWinchesterfanoldWinchesterfan Member Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check out the wood carefully so you know what you have. I don't know about this one but some "Miroku Winchesters" the wood grain is painted on. It doesn't affect function and looks fine, unless someone gets aggressive cleaning the wood.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My first muzzle loader kit was Remington Zouave made by Miroku. It was a great shooting rifle, still regret selling it.
  • Options
    gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My suggestion is this:
    If you want a Model 64, buy an original. Pony up and find a nice used but not abused original. Sure it will cost a little more, but it will always hold a good resale value.
    The 64 is a beautiful classic looking rifle!
    Good luck,
    Ed
  • Options
    brummiejimbrummiejim Member Posts: 324 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with gearheaddad. The Model 64 is a classic and a good ( not mint)shape original can be had for a few bucks more than the price you mention for a Japanese made copy. An original Winchester will hold also its value well over time. Buy American! Jim
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Went ahead and layed away the Cabela,s model 64 for a birthday present for myself. Just too nice not to buy. Gearhead and Jim, had already thought about what you posted. Have a very nice and understanding wife, she said buy the Cabelas and an original. The kicker was when I said the kids will will inherit them anyway, so it is really for them. Anything for the kids. Now in the process of looking for a nice original, preferably in 32 spcl.
  • Options
    oldWinchesterfanoldWinchesterfan Member Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Feb 2016 issue of Guns magazine came in the mail today and has an article on the M64 in .32 Win Spcl. Just FYI.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Old Winchester. I will try to find this issue.