In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

laser edge finder

jelwyomingjelwyoming Member Posts: 35 ✭✭
edited December 2015 in Ask the Experts
I am curious if any of you fellow gunsmiths have tried one of the new laser edge finders on your mill or lathe? I am considering one thinking it would really speed up setup on many projects?
this is the site that I was looking at:
SDA Mfg. LLC
559 787-2580
www.lasercenteredgefinder.com

Comments

• chris8X57chris8X57 Member Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never tried this unit.

Have used a wiggler or edge finder for years, then switched over to a 25x height gage scope with crosshairs and the scope mounted on a magnetic base. My edge finding accuracy increased 100 % and I never looked back.

Also, you might look into EDM centering microscopes (high dollar) or machinist centering scopes. ( usually in the $150-300 range)

Anything you choose will be affected by the spindle runout of your machine, and consideration given to that. Additionally, adding a Digital Readout to your mill will make things so much more accurate.
  • XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well there are pro's and con's with these units.
    It's bulky, takes batteries. There is an advantage if you are doing a lot of work from "layouts". (edge finders don't work very well in that capacity) However, it does cover a much larger
    work area without having to move multiple devices such as table AND quill. I didn't look at the price, but unless you are working with some fairly precision equipment...it's overkill.
  • jelwyomingjelwyoming Member Posts: 35 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's about 150.00 and collet mounted! I have a DRO on the mill. This would just give me the numbers to use with the DRO. What is a inexpensive but serviceable quill DRO for my Lathe?
  • MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    Good luck on a quill DRO. I made a clamp and use a long travel indicator.