In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.222 Remington Magnum

KJACKKJACK Member Posts: 107 ✭✭
edited December 2015 in Ask the Experts
I have the opportunity to pick up a Remington 700 BDL for a good price (to me, anyway). Rather than spend my savings on a rebarrel project, I think I can use my moderate reloading skills to extend the life of the once-fired cases that will come with it.

One obscure Google reference (which I failed to bookmark) said that the .222 Rem Magnum is the parent to the .204 Ruger

True or myth[?]

While neither is inexpensive, the availability of the .204 has got to be better than the .222 Mag

Expensive rabbit-hole [?]

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    GOOGLED 204 Ruger. Below is results.

Type Rifle
    Place of origin USA
    Production history
    Designer Ruger/Hornady
    Designed 2004
    Produced 2004-Present
    Specifications
    Parent case .222 Remington Magnum
    Case type Rimless, bottleneck
    Bullet diameter .204 in (5.2 mm)
    Neck diameter .2311 in (5.87 mm)
    Shoulder diameter .3598 in (9.14 mm)
    Base diameter .3764 in (9.56 mm)
    Rim diameter .378 in (9.6 mm)
    Rim thickness .0449 in (1.14 mm)
    Case length 1.850 in (47.0 mm)
    Overall length 2.2598 in (57.40 mm)
    Rifling twist 1-12
    Primer type small rifle
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a 722 in 222. Someday when it no longer shoots better than I can hold it, I will try the 222 Mag route to get into a fresher throat zone.

222 Mag brass is somewhat available.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by KJACK
    I have the opportunity to pick up a Remington 700 BDL for a good price (to me, anyway). Rather than spend my savings on a rebarrel project, I think I can use my moderate reloading skills to extend the life of the once-fired cases that will come with it.

One obscure Google reference (which I failed to bookmark) said that the .222 Rem Magnum is the parent to the .204 Ruger

True or myth[?]

While neither is inexpensive, the availability of the .204 has got to be better than the .222 Mag

Expensive rabbit-hole [?]

I have a 6X47/222RM and haven't had much trouble getting the 222RM brass, less of a "neck up" from 224 to 244 - have you tried Grafs? I think there's a slight shoulder difference between the 222 RM and the 204. Not much and don't think it causes any "first firing" problems.
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, as Rufe indicated, it is the parent case for the .204.

I have rifles for both the .204 and .222 mag. The .204 has the shoulder pushed forward as well as being necked down. While I haven't tried to form .222 mag from .204, I'd worry about working that tiny neck!

There are 140 new-in-the-boxes cases on the auction side with several bidders. Current bid is $355.00!! I have a couple of hundred cases for my rifle that I haven't had to touch yet: I guess I'll treat them with a lot more respect.

If you have 1 fired cases that come with your rifle you should be able to make them last quite a while. I would suggest neck sizing. A neck sizer for the standard .222 or the .223 with proper adjusting will work. I use a standard .222 neck sizer (backed off) for mine. I have an old set of Lachmiller dies if I need to full length resize.

My rifle is a 1961 Remington model 722 with 24" barrel. The load it likes is 27 gr. of Benchmark with a 50 gr. Sierra spt. for 3441 fps. The rifle doesn't like Remington 55 gr. factory loads at all with groups running 2.5"+.

If I liked the price of that BDL, I'd snap it up in a heart-beat! I hope you will, too, and that you have good luck with it.
  • Options
    KJACKKJACK Member Posts: 107 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks to all the comments. I'll post if/when the deal goes through
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I own two rifles in 222 Rem Mag... one is an original Remington Model 722, and the other is a special ordered Remington Model 700 BDL Heavy Varmint. Both shoot less than .5 moa. In the past 35+ years that I have been shooting the Triple-Deuce Mag, I have acquired more than 3,000 RP cartridge cases and 1,000 rounds of never fired factory ammo (to be used when I can no longer reload by current supply of brass). Some of case have more than 30-trips through the chamber. I neck size only, and anneal them after 15 reloads. Brand new 222 Rem Mag brass can be found, and Remington still makes an occasional run of new brass. It is my second favorite varmint cartridge[^]
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Used to have a Sako .222 Magnum. Been long enough ago that I can't recall if I used .223 brass at one time? Maybe a tad shorter, but more than functional. Or was it just wishful thinking?
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by RCrosby
    Used to have a Sako .222 Magnum. Been long enough ago that I can't recall if I used .223 brass at one time? Maybe a tad shorter, but more than functional. Or was it just wishful thinking?

Wishful thinking... the 222 Rem Mag case is .1" longer than the 223 Rem case, and because it headspaces on the shoulder, the 223 will not chamber properly in a 222 Rem Mag.
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have cut 5.56 and formed them for use in my .222, but I would think trying to use the 5.56 in the .222 RM would leave a real short neck. Bert hit one point that is critical for case life, neck size and anneal (I do them every 10 rounds he does every 15, both keep the brass flexible). I have used the resizing expander button to neck .300 Whby up to .340 and .308 Win up to .358 in single step resizes with negligible losses. Just don't try to do it right after annealing the cases, it just makes brass telescopes.
  • Options
    pawnee66pawnee66 Member Posts: 223 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a 222 MagAI and I make brass from 204 Ruger cases.